Conundrums.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conundrums.

The thing about period humor is that to us folks far removed in time from the era that so fascinates us, it's just not always that...funny. Clever, maybe; interesting, to be sure; but not quite side-splitting.

I collect jokesters and songsters from the different universities that will copy them for me, and when I cull them for usable material, there is usually just a small fraction that will stand a chance of raising a titter in a modern audience.

Of course, that's the way it is with comedy in general, isn't it? I mean, I listen to the average Bob Hope routine, and I'm not rolling on the floor with tears in my eyes. But I'll but my Dad really got a laugh from them once upon a time.

I also imagine that the delivery was vital to so much of the material. And I'm not just talking about the "dialect." So often you see the word "droll" attached to descriptions of the popular comedians. I suspect that period audiences were charmed by a certain "reserve" from a comedian. Clarke Buehling once told me that my delivery should be more "Shakesperian."

I'm rambling here, but I feel that in our quest to truly experience a taste of the mid 19th century through authentic living history, an understanding and familiarity with the humor of the time can be of great assistance.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Here's a link to all the text to The Camp Jester referred to above: http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/jester/jester.html

Here's a link to my favorite humorous book, The Physiology of New York Boarding Houses, 1857. It's more than one-liners but the entire illustrated book makes light of the many types of people one might encounter in boarding houses and is hilarious to read. I think it would be a great source for anyone trying to fill out their citizen impression in many instances.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post

It is interesting to look at period newspapers etc and see what was passing for humor at the time. Some of it - well, I guess you just had to be there huh?
        My favorite part of buying the repro Harper's Weeklys is reading the "Humor of the Day" sections.
        Very rarely do I get them, but the ones I do I find amazing. Most you read from that time is serious reports, diaries, etc. but to see that side of them sheds a new light.
        Kevin Whitehead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

One that I remember reading in Harper's:

Why would an owl take offense if you called him a partridge?
          It would be making game of him.

:tounge_sm
          Yours, &c
          Adam Clark
          -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
          Connor Clune

Comment

Why should a classical scholar never attempt to count eggs more than one at a time?
            Because he would be sure to count them ova and ova.

A real knee-slapper fo' sho'--from the pages of Harper's.
            Regards,
            Deborah Hyland
            dance mistress

Comment

Cute! I like this thread.

Now here's an obscure one --

Why is Jenny Lind not like a leg of lamb?

Because she is neither Alboni nor Grisi.

(Hint. Both Marietta Alboni and Giulia Grisi well-known opera singers of the day.) I found this one in the Indiana Lafayette Daily Courier,
              December 17, 1850:
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
              [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

Working...
              X