Adelina Patti.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adelina Patti.

I just received a much-anticipated CD in the mail. Adelina Patti, recorded in 1905, now re-issued on a CD on the Pearl label. Google it on Amazon if you're interested.

Patti (1843-1919) was unquestionably the greatest prima donna during her long career from the late 1850's to her "retirement" in 1894 (or 1906 or 1914; she never completely stopped singing in public).

When she was recorded in 1905, she was obviously "past her prime." The high notes are the first thing to go as the voice ages. However, this is still the same Patti who sang for the Lincoln's in the White House in 1862. The same Patti who toured the "provinces" with Louis Moreau Gottschalk. What's more, she sings several songs on this recording that she sang for Old Abe (Old Folks at Home, Home Sweet Home, Commin' Thro' the Rye, Kathleen Mavourneen). That's interesting to me. She is a star of Grand Opera of the highest magnitude, and yet she chooses for her first and only recording humble folk songs like this (along with the Mozart and Bellini and Bach).

We're not hearing her exactly as she sounded in the 1860's, but I recomend this CD for it's ability to give us a sense of what music sounded like before Elvis ruined everything:tounge_sm
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Re: Adelina Patti.

Also, of interest, that Adelina was in Columbia, TN right before the war, her brother Carlos, would actually enlist in the CS army, then be sent out as a diplomat. I knew recordings of her existed, but I am glad to know of where to get a copy of it.
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mme. Patti did, in fact, appear with Gottschalk right here in Lafayette, Indiana (aka "Nowheresville") in early 1863. This appearance was the highlight of the social season for any and all provincial rubes with pretensions to "culture" in these parts.

If you'd like the articles and concert reviews that were published in the local papers about the event, send me an e-mail or PM.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Carl -

Seems like the would be a fascinating listen, if only to get the period phrasing and emphasis from a CW-era performer. She was apparently a child prodigy. (A reading source on her is Frederick Cone's "Adelina Patti: Queen of Hearts" New York: Hal Leonard, 2003).

From another source, Gottschalk with Adelina Patti in the years leading into the CW:

"...Gottschalk planned a second tour of Cuba accompanied by the thirteen-year-old virtuoso singer Adelina Patti and her father Salvatore. The musicians arrived in Havana on 12 February 1857. It was at this time that Gottschalk began keeping a journal to record his travels and performances. For five years he remained in the Caribbean, not returning to the United States until 1862, at the start of the Civil War..."

Laura Pruett, dissertation "LOUIS MOREAU GOTTSCHALK, JOHN SULLIVAN DWIGHT,AND THE DEVELOPMENT OF MUSICAL CULTURE IN THE UNITED STATES, 1853-1865" copyright 2007

- Dan Wykes
        Last edited by Danny; 04-04-2008, 09:44 PM.
        Danny Wykes

Comment

A little more on Carlo, he enlisted in the 2nd Tennessee Infantry, here is an article from Vicki Betts' website,

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], March 16, 1861, p. 3, c. 3
          Patti's Farewell Concert.—Carlo Patti, the brother of the famous Adelina, has for some time been a resident among us. By his gentlemanly demeanor, and his generosity and urbanity, he has won for himself a host of attached friends, while his fine musical talent is the topic of universal admiration. We state with profound regret that his engagement at the theater has been suddenly terminated, and that in two weeks he will leave Memphis on a musical tour, previous to engaging in his profession in a distant city. Before leaving here he will give a farewell concert, in which his two compositions, "'Twas but a Dream," and "I Love Thee," will be introduced. He will be assisted by Professors Katzenbach, Seyfurt, Ch. Yong, H. L. Farmer, and several lady and gentleman amateurs. The programme will soon be announced.
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
            A little more on Carlo, he enlisted in the 2nd Tennessee Infantry.
            Lee, you've piqued my intrest in Carlo Patti, so I tried to look him up on the excellent Soldiers and Sailors System website, but they seem to be down. I want to find out what became of Carlo.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cremona View Post
              ...I want to find out what became of Carlo.
              Carl, Mark, Lee -

Whatever CSA service the young Carlo (born 1842) had, it must have been brief. He left Memphis Tenn. In Spring of 1861, with a personal message to the paper there: (i.e. Memphis Daily Appeal, March 21, 1861, p. 2, c. 7) “Farewell Concert of Carlo Patti, At Odd-Fellows' Hall,Thursday Evening, 21st...In bidding farewell to the public of Memphis, I have to acknowledge the universal kindness with which I have ever been treated, and I sincerely trust that upon this, my last appearance before my kind friends, their presence and patronage will justify me in the belief that I have lost nothing in their estimation during my brief but happy sojourn in the Bluff City.”

He apparently was travelling with Gottschalk only a year later: i.e. “By 1862 Carlo, Carlotta, and Amalia were all members of Gottschalk's traveling operatic troupe...” (Offergeld, Robert, ed. The Centennial Catalogue of the Published and Unpublished Compositions of Louis Moreau Gottschalk. New York: Ziff-Davis, 1970).

And a year more and he was dead: i.e. his obit from the St. Louis Globe, March 19, 1873: “...'Carlo Patti - His Birth, Marriage, and Death - His Early Proficiency' ... the celebrated violinist, who died at an early hour on Monday, of consumption...” etc. etc., and “... In New York Carlo Patti won deserved laurels as musical director of the Grand Opera House, and leader of the famous Ninth Regiment Band...”

OK, now here’s a gem: Apparently the guy was a primary reason that Emmet’s “Dixie’s Land” became the C.S.A. anthem! (From the Richmond Dispatch, March 19, 1893.): “Dan Emmett its Author and New York the Place of Its Production....’Dixie’ was written two years before the commencement of the war, and as originally written there was not a line that could be charged with any political bearing. The crowning popularity of this well-known ditty was secured in New Orleans in the spring of 1861, when ....in the last scene a zouave march was introduced. Carlo Patti, brother of Adalina Patti, was the leader of the orchestra. At the rehearsal Carlo was at a loss as to what air to appropriate... Trying several, he finally hit upon ‘Dixie.’ Tom McDonough shouted:’That will do--the very thing; play it to-night.’ Mrs. John Wood, Mark Smith, Loftingwell, and John Owens were delighted. Night came, the Zouaves marched on, led by Miss Susan Denin, singing ‘I wish I was in Dixie.’ The audience became wild with delight and seven encores were demanded. Soon after the war broke out. The Washington Artillery had the tune arranged for a quickstep by Romoe Meneri. The saloons, the parlors, the streets rang with the" Dixie" air, and "Dixie" became to the South what the "Marsellaise" is to France.”

I also found out that Carlo, somewhere in that 3 years, had married and divorced someone that the rest of his family totally rejected, to the point they didn't forward any support or attend his funeral.

Last Gem; I found his photo, here attached. (There is a gif of his whole obit too, including a note on the scandal, that I also found)

- Dan Wykes
              Last edited by Danny; 05-26-2008, 12:00 AM.
              Danny Wykes

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                ...And a year more and he was dead: i.e. his obit from the St. Louis Globe, March 19, 1873: “...'Carlo Patti - His Birth, Marriage, and Death - His Early Proficiency' ... the celebrated violinist, who died at an early hour on Monday, of consumption...” etc. etc., and “... In New York Carlo Patti won deserved laurels as musical director of the Grand Opera House, and leader of the famous Ninth Regiment Band...”
                Well, never mind, that was 1873 when he died, which means he had plenty of time to, marry, and enlist and serve in the latter half of the CW, after his tour with Gottsschalk.

Dan (dyslexic) Wykes
                Danny Wykes

Comment

Interesting thread....thanks for posting it.

Mike Willey
                  late of the 49th Ohio and Coffee-coolers

Comment

Well, I've listened to this CD about 50 times now and I can say it just gets better every time I listen to it. Some of her techniques are a bit...weird...to my ears but you get used to them and hopefully they are common mid 19th century affectations. The "portamento" slide from note to note seems odd but it grows on you. Her vibrato seems a little "warbley" but who am I to say? On the whole I really, really like her.

It's so cool to hear an operatic singer sing in dialect, as on "Old Folks at Home." "Dar's whar my heart is tended..." is sung just like it was grand opera.

Another reason I like this CD is 'cause it's natural to pull for an "underdog." She's in her 60's and past her vocal prime when it was recorded. You go, girl!:shades_sm

Comment

Working...
                    X