Wounded men in Fredericksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wounded men in Fredericksburg

The information for this one is listed as "Kearney's men wounded at Fredericksburg." However, by the time the Union had Fredericksburg, Kearney was dead. So I'm not sure if the info is correct or not.

Ryan Burns
    The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
    3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Re: Wounded men in Fredericksburg

The First Sergeant by the door seems to have a VI Corps Badge on his vest. If they belong to what was Kearny's III Corps, and if this image was taken in '64, they could be "Kearny's Men", even though he was dead, as the 3d Division III Corps was transferred to the VI Corps in March of that year.
    Robert W. Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
    Thrasher Mess
    Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
    ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
    Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Or possibly "Kearny's Men" referred to the "New Jersey Brigade" originally commanded by Phillip Kearny. In 1864 it was the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps.
      Brian Koenig
      SGLHA
      Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Hi,

The the sergeant also has what looks like the same corp badge on the top of his kepi.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I also noticed the Sixth Corps badge almost immediately. Gen. Phillip Kearny's old division, commanded by Gen. David Birney at the time of the spring, 1864 'merger', went to Hancocks Second Corps, not the Sixth. The Third Corps division that went to the Sixth was French's Division, attached to the Third Corps after G-burg(remembering my Payne's Farm research here), so they never considered themselves "Kearny's Men". So that's pretty much out.

Is it possible that these are members of the Sixth Corps "Jersey Brigade", commanded early in the war by Phil Kearny? These boys spent a lot of time in and around Fredericksburg...
          Bill Birney
          William Birney
          Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
          Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Once again, this image is extensively discussed and analyzed by William Frassanito in his "Grant and Lee: The Virginia Campaigns, 1864-1865" (Gettysburg PA: Thomas Publications, 1983, p. 78-84).

Frassanito speculates the troops shown above were, indeed, affiliated with the 6th Army Corps (the use of Roman numerals to identify corps-level units is a purely 20th Century device). Frassanito identifies the locale as being in the rear of the USSC supply depot then located near the intersection of Commerce (now William) and Charles streets. All of the known photos in this series were taken within a short time of each other on Friday, 20 May 1864, thus indicating most, if not all, of the men shown were casualties of the previous fighting in the Wilderness and around Spotsylvania C. H.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

How many buttons does this said First Segeant have on his coat. What kind of Jacket has ten buttons? I thought nine was the most?
              [B]Luke Weathington
              14th Alabama
              Co. G[/B]

Comment

Could be a Schuylkill Arsenal jacket or some other variety of Federal jacket, these could exhibit as many as 12 buttons down the front and as they look to be the same size as his vest and cuff buttons, I'd say this is the case here that is is some sort of issue or private purchase jacket.
                Charlie Thayer

"Confederates were looking for some shoes, which were in short supply in the South because of the Union Blockade. The Confederates received gun fire instead of shoes." Quote of a random student in one of my classes.

Comment

Checkout the shapeless "Hillbilly hat" in the fifth photo down. ;)
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

Working...
                  X