Group of Fed Artillery Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group of Fed Artillery Officers

We've all seen the reenactorism of the "stampeded strings" on slouch hats. Well, check out the major in the center of this group. He looks to have a ribbon coming out of his hat tied to a buttonhole of his coat. Is this how "The Old Fellows" went about keeping their hats while running (or at a gallop)?

There are a couple other interesting fellows here, as well:
    - The gent 2nd from left in the back row appears to have tucked his tie into his shirt front.

- The jaunty officer at far right looks like he may be wearing a standard issue fatigue blouse.

I found this pic over at the LoC site:
    Digital ID: cwpb 00144 Source: digital file from original neg.
    Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpb-00144 (digital file from original neg.)
    Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 05-12-2008, 03:12 PM.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Group of Fed Artillery Officers

I have heard of that method of attaching the hat to jacket via a string called a hat "trolley" before, but it was in a more modern context (the 1930's). I wonder what they called this method of keeping track of ones hat in the period?

This is a fantastic image; the officer standing second from the left looks like quite the dapper fellow.

REMINDER: You must sign your full first and last name to every post. Thanks. Patrick Craddock: AC Mod.
    Last edited by Bushrod Carter; 05-13-2008, 06:42 AM.
    Dave Schwartz,
    Company B, 79th NY Vols.
    (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Hello,
      In the famous seated pose taken of him, Kentucky partisan Jerome Marcellus Clarke, aka "Sue Mundy", also has a black ribbon fastened to his hat and tied off on a buttonhole....
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Interesting photo. Is it more than coincidence that this practice mimicks the way the hat cords are used on the 1864 Artillery Shako...as well as the cords for post-war mounted helmets? Not a stampede string pulled under the chin, but a cord fixed to a button or buttonhole.

Paul McKee
        Paul McKee

Comment

The gent in the lower left hand corner sporting the kepi looks alot like Ulrich Dahlgren....
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Just found this pic on line...
            Looks like the same group of fellows.

"One of the most famous Brady photographs of Civil War artillery commands is that of “Tidball’s Battery.” John Caldwell Tidball had an amazing war record starting with the expedition to suppress John Browns Harpers Ferry’s raid. During the Peninsular Campaign he fought at Yorktown, Williamsburg, New Bridge, Mechanicsville, Gaines’s Mill, Malvern Hill, Harrison’s Landing, and Antietam. He was on Stoneman’s raid and participated in both the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. After fighting at Aldle and Upperville, he was named Col. of the 4th New York Artillery and took command of the 2nd Corps. Artillery. The list just goes on of battles- Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg... He was brevetted for Gaines Mill, Antietam and the Richmond Campaign. He finally ended up as Major General on April 2, 1865. This famous Brady photo shows Tidball as a Captain with his staff. The pose is taken near Fair Oaks after the Antietam Campaign just prior to Gettysburg. On the back of the photo in brown ink of the period his staff members are identified: Pennington, Dennison, and Clark. Tidball stands directing in back of the cannon."
            Attached Files
            Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 05-23-2008, 07:29 AM.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

It seems that "Clark" - if thats who the Staff officer is - is wearing an ascot tie with a push pin.

In the first pic with the Major & the ribbon, reminds me of what I recently found out - that the tag on the back of the coat (which I always thought was used to hang it) was actually supposed to tie to a ribbon that went to the hat and then, should it fly off, it wouldn't touch the ground/roll away/get dirty.

I just can't get over how awesome the gear is. haha. :wink_smil
              Guy W. Gane III
              Casting Director/Owner
              Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
              49th NYVI Co. B
              The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Gane III View Post

In the first pic with the Major & the ribbon, reminds me of what I recently found out - that the tag on the back of the coat (which I always thought was used to hang it) was actually supposed to tie to a ribbon that went to the hat and then, should it fly off, it wouldn't touch the ground/roll away/get dirty.
                Guy,

Do you have a reference for the purpose of the tag...or is this more probable conjecture?

Paul B.
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Makes me think both photos were taken on the same day.
                  Michael Comer
                  one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                  X