No announcement yet.

Soldiers on Morris Island - 67th Ohio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers on Morris Island - 67th Ohio?

Been pouring over this great LOC image of Union soldiers outside a bombproof on Morris Island, SC. The only description is "Headquarters of field officer of the trenches. Second parallel." Says July or August, 1863. A fascinating photograph overall, showing tremendous detail: torpedos, glass bottles, a stretcher. There's even a telegraph wire visible. A close look reveals a "67" on one soldier's cap. Could this be the 67th Ohio? Before or after their role in the famous attack on Fort Wagner?

Is that some sort of zouave jacket?

A close-up on the 67:

You can see all these in greater detail here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1531976...n/photostream/
    or at the LOC database (LC-B8156- 14).
    Brendan Hamilton
    Jerusalem Plank Road

Re: Soldiers on Morris Island - 67th Ohio?

Awesome. I was on Morris Island (what's left of it) about 20yrs ago. It was an experience I won't forget. The boat almost capsized getting there. Landed on the harbor side of the island. Once on the island we decided to walk across the grassy middle swinging our detectors the whole way. Only got about 20ft in when we were swarmed by thousands of mosquitoes that penetrated my clothing. You would have to run into the water and splash around to get them off. So then we decided to walk around the island on the beach. There was a spot about 50yds wide that looked like baked, cracked gray mud. Got about 25yds in and sunk to my waist!! We were able to pull ourselves up and lay flat and crawl across it. Losing both shoes and cutting my feet up on oyster shells buried under it. Finally reaching the other side (facing the ocean) the beach was littered with hundreds of seashells and sand dollars. Most were in perfect condition. Tried the grassy area 1 more time to no avail and said farewell to that beautiful, but deadly place. I often wonder what it looks like now.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

We did the Re-Opp of Fort Sumter several years ago and we stayed on Morris Island for one night. We were given a tour and shown some old earth works that remains on the island. I will never forget the experience as my one blanket did very little good keeping me warm while the wind was blowing and it was 22 degrees. Saturday morning we rowed over to Fort Sumter. Was an experience that I will never forget.

Claude Sinclair
      Claude Sinclair
      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Merritt View Post
        A close look reveals a "67" on one soldier's cap. Could this be the 67th Ohio? Before or after their role in the famous attack on Fort Wagner?
        It certainly looks that way. I did a quick check of Dyer's Compendium and was unable to immediately find any other Federal regiments designated either "61" or "67," aside from the 67th OVI, that were deployed in the vicinity of Fort Wagner during the summer of 1863.

A search through this bibliography may well reveal images that could at least identify the officers shown in the above image.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

In the second enlargement from the top, second from the right; what in the world is that fellow wearing? It doesn't really look a whole lot like any zouave jacket I'm familiar with; it is truly bizarre looking!
          Dave Schwartz,
          Company B, 79th NY Vols.
          (New York Highland Guard)

Comment

Working...
          X