Richmond, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond, VA

Maybe somone can help me with this, or some may just find it interesting. This is castle thunder sometime in 1865 in Richmond, VA located at Cary and betewen 18th and 19th Streets. The prison was mostly used for muderers, thieves, etc. This picture is pretty interesting because you can see 2 prisoners with their heads sticking out the window. And the three kids are interesting 2 are barefoot and all look like to be wearing some sort of shell jacket and one looks like he is wearing a kepi. Then the group of soldiers, maybe someone can tell me about the guy in the ligher color (looks like an RDII) jacket with civil like looking trousers (with mule ear pockets) and a kepi, could this be a Confederate?

Last edited by BrandonEnglish; 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM.
    Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Re: Richmond, VA

Is it just me or are there no pictures coming through?

Paul B.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

No pics coming thru....
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

One of my family members, Calvin Taylor (the oldest of the 6 Taylor brothers in the War), is listed as being there April 1863. He was listed as excused from company because of illness, so maybe he was a guard? He was back with his company the following month and severly wounded at Chancellorsville (brother John was killed there). They were with the 37th NC, company A.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Brandon generously sent me the pictures. Thank you. These are fascinating.

Comment

Thanks Kathy! I don't know why they didn't appear.
            Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

these pictures are awesome. this is only a block away from the restaraunt i work at now. i like the guys hanging out the window.
              Sam Harrelson
              Liberty Rifles
              Independent Volunteers
              Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Sir, what a great photograph you've brought to the forum of a day long ago. As I look at the peering prisoners, soldiers and children the view draws my attention in several ways. A look at the building I see a stove pipe coming out one window and soot from two adjacent windows. As I bring the image in 400% I think I see four or five people sitting on the bench or pew. The telegraph pole has two glass insulaters near the top and looks like another stove pipe coming out of the street level window. As I look closer at street level door entrances and windows, the white (screen?) door next to gutter drain pipe appears not to fit in and look also at gutter drain and down spout at right corner of building. Awning iron work is leaving rust stains on brick face and street level brickwork appears to be maybe white washed at one time. As I look at the man with his back to us, off his right shoulder inside the window opening I think I see a man's face wearing a hat or kepi. The fellow with the pup dog looks to be sitting on a corner as is the man standing next to the lamp post. The cobblestone street, granite curb (I think), I can almost hear the horses hoof-beat. The images came in fine and I could zoom in well without loss of clarity, thanks for bringing it out. P.S., is the building still there?
                Last edited by yeoman; 06-22-2008, 01:37 PM. Reason: add an after thought
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

After examining the TIFF version of this, I would not be a bit surprised if the rakish fellow standing second from right isn't a Reb. Check out the kepi, what looks to be a "Type II" RD in BG kersey, and the mule ear pockets on the trousers. Not that some of these features aren't seen on Federal clothing, but something about him whistles Dixie.
                  Bob Williams
                  26th North Carolina Troops
                  Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Acloser view of this guy as per the above post.
                    Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

To answer the one question if the building is still there, no it is not. There used to be a bar actually called Castle Thunder, I guess a sort of homage to the original building. This and Libby prison are both gone.
                      Brandon English

Comment

Working...
                      X