X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great Federal Portrait

Thanks.

Everyone,
    I stand corrected as to what the term "bummer" actually means. I guess in certain regions of the south (like where the Carolinas Campaign occurred) any Midwestern soldier is referred to as a bummer. But, I will use the correct context of the word from now on.

Also as I was reading Drum Taps in Dixie by Delevan Miller and I found this passage:

"Among the other curiosities at the Point was a stockade where the rebel prisoners were corralled until they could be sent north. Another stockade was called a "Bull Pen," where all the deserters, bounty jumpers, bummers, and other freaks were kept until their cases could be disposed of."

This shed a tremendous amount of light on the period and modern meaning of the word "bummer".

So in conclusion "Mea Culpa".
    Last edited by 27thNCdrummer; 07-03-2008, 10:44 AM.
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

That is the great thing about this site. This discussion of a federal photo has yielded a wealth of information beyond just the photo itself. No hard feelings, a solid study of both the image, and the various meanings of the term "bummer". The thread has served it's function as a catalyst for deeper learning and knowledge.

Respectfully....
      Sean Collicott
      Your humble servant....
      Sean Collicott
      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Back on the original topic, did you boys see what the winning bid was on this image? Holy small-fortune-for-an-unidentified-image, Batman! I guess I can forget ever starting an image collection of my own.

Bummer. :wink_smil
        Arch Campbell
        Hairy Nation
        Loyal Union League
        Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Working...
        X