Where can I find stereo views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find stereo views?

Does anybody currently offer repros (or even originals) of Civil War stereoscope images? A search on Ebay didn't turn up much, though the viewers seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced (they were made at least into the 1920's, I think, and possibly even later). I've been considering purchasing a stereoscope at some point, as I find them to be an interesting piece of old-time entertainment.
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Richard Knack[/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Where can I find stereo views?

Originally posted by Dutchman Dick View Post
    Does anybody currently offer repros (or even originals) of Civil War stereoscope images? A search on Ebay didn't turn up much, though the viewers seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced (they were made at least into the 1920's, I think, and possibly even later). I've been considering purchasing a stereoscope at some point, as I find them to be an interesting piece of old-time entertainment.
    I did a quick search on EBay and come up with nearly 2 dozen cards for sale.

The bad news is that CW-themed stereo views are expensive and seem to be getting pricier each year. Mike Medhurst is a good source for views, but he wants an arm and a leg for his stuff:

Accordingly, you might also want to see if there are any militaria or antique shows in your area--they're often good sources for stereo cards and you may be able to bargain with the dealers. Estate auctions could also be potentially interesting. I picked up a mint-condition viewer (dated 1901), which had the original eyepiece padding intact (I've never seen this elsewhere), along with a ton of World War I military stereo views for $80 at an estate sale last year.

In the meantime, have you ever just bought an old GAF Viewmaster and its Civil War series of cards, which, I believe, originally came out around the time of the Civil War Centennial? Both viewer and cards should be dirt-cheap. I've still got two 1940's bakelite Viewmasters that were given to me by my grandmother when I was a crumb-cruncher.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

You know, I never even THOUGHT of the Viewmaster. Thanks! I think mine, and my dad's are still kicking around in a box somewhere.

Meanwhile, I also fould Zeller's The Civil War In Depth, volumes 1 and 2, on Amazon.com, for a decent price (under $2 for volume 2, and under $8 for volume 1, plus shipping). Those are supposed to come with their own viewer. They sounded interesting, and the price was right.

Comment

Meanwhile, I also fould Zeller's The Civil War In Depth, volumes 1 and 2, on Amazon.com, for a decent price (under $2 for volume 2, and under $8 for volume 1, plus shipping). Those are supposed to come with their own viewer. They sounded interesting, and the price was right.
        If none of you have seen The Civil War In Depth, BUY IT! I haven't received volume 2 yet, but I just got volume 1 today and it's great! Fascinating to be able to see the war in 3-d, just like our forefathers (and mothers) did, sitting in their parlors with stereopticons. Very worthwhile book, IMHO.

Comment

Sir, your thread got me to wondering about this so I went to the LOC site. I printed a stereoscopic image and its size is 2 and 5/8'' by 6 and 1/2''. My question is, could you use this image with an old viewer? Thanks.
          Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
          Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
          Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
          www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

If none of you have seen The Civil War In Depth, BUY IT! I haven't received volume 2 yet, but I just got volume 1 today and it's great! Fascinating to be able to see the war in 3-d, just like our forefathers (and mothers) did, sitting in their parlors with stereopticons. Very worthwhile book, IMHO.

Volume 2 arrived this past weekend. It's every bit as good as the first volume, and made even better by the inclusion of an improved stereo viewer that is easier to use than the one supplied with Volume 1.

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
              Sir, your thread got me to wondering about this so I went to the LOC site. I printed a stereoscopic image and its size is 2 and 5/8'' by 6 and 1/2''. My question is, could you use this image with an old viewer? Thanks.
              You might. I believe the Holmes-type viewers were meant for 3" by 7" views, so give it a try and see.

What is LOC, anyway? Can you post a link, if it's not already on this website?

Comment

LOC = Library of Congress
                NA = Nationial Archives
                Tom Mandrackie
                Private, 6th OVI
                4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.
                Brigade of the American Revolution

Comment

Thanks! And please excuse my ignorance...:confused_

Comment

Working...
                  X