Sherman's Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sherman's Men

I was looking for some period images of men actually performing destruction and I ran across this image of Sherman's men. It is titled "Atlanta Georgia, Sherman's men tearing up rail trackroad track".
    Okay sherman's boys....this may be an obvious question that I am missing...but what did they do with their gear? I see no rifles, no canteens, no leathers, no knapsacks. They aren't exactly in their back yard so I imagine that their supply line should of been one of Sherman's main focuses. Could they afford the risk of just ditching this equipment?
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Sherman's Men

Correction...I see one canteen on the loafer in the right of the image
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

If I were busy tearing up track, I wouldn't want to be encumbered by a musket/canteen/haversack/blanket roll/whatever either. They probably just dropped them by the side of the track nearby and would pick them up later.
      Lynn Kessler
      Co. C
      Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
      The Southern Division

Comment

Probably did a little number like this one, from LC-DIG-cwpb-0264, "Petersburg, Va. Row of stacked Federal rifles; houses beyond."
        Attached Files
        Jason R. Wickersty
        http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
        Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
        Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
        Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
        Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

For next year's Bummers' Stroll, might we consider the variation in uniforms of these men? -- fatigue blouses prevalent but also are issue dress coats and apparently even an untrimmed mounted services jacket on this "road gang." Think it's a mixture of men from several companies or from one specific group?

I'm still trying to get the time off from work before even beginning to officially get my kit together for the upcoming March but thought this mixture of clothing was interesting and wondered if guidelines had already been established.

Obliged,
          Paul Hadley
          Paul Hadley

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
            For next year's Bummers' Stroll, might we consider the variation in uniforms of these men? -- fatigue blouses prevalent but also are issue dress coats and apparently even an untrimmed mounted services jacket on this "road gang." Think it's a mixture of men from several companies or from one specific group?

I'm still trying to get the time off from work before even beginning to officially get my kit together for the upcoming March but thought this mixture of clothing was interesting and wondered if guidelines had already been established.

Obliged,
            Paul Hadley
            Paul I imagine we will be wearing what the original units were wearing, or as close as we can get. I suspect Mr Tipton and Co will soon be working on that research.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I wouldn't take the lack of equipment too seriously. They don't look like they're in much danger and it's obviously a posed shot. I imagine that a photographer saw some fellows sitting around taking a break and said 'hey, why don't you boys get up here and hold on to some rails like you're going to tear 'em up and let me get an image of you'.
              Michael Comer
              one of the moderator guys

Comment

I could be wrong but I think there is another photo of this same gang from a different angle out there. If you study the photos taken of the works around Atlanta and really scrutinize Sherman’s boys you will all sorts of different clothing including untrimmed mounted jackets and a cut down sack coat. This photo should be titled “Atlanta’s first urban renewal”.

Regards,
                -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                [I]
                "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Sherman moved his army into and around Atlanta and ordered all the civilians out so these men could be on fatigue duty and marched from there camp....there wasn't much of a threat from Hood at this time.
                  Brian Baird

Comment

I wonder if the photographer didn't spot the men, but they brought him along. from the look of the background, I don't imagine many photographers would simply be ambling about, I think he may have been brought by whoever was in charge, and the pics were meant as a morale booster for civilians at home. I do think they were indeed working on that section and it wasn't just set up, as evident by the dismounted rails near them that appear to be done in the same fashion as what they're set up to do.

just my thoughts,

Ian B.
                    Ian Baker
                    "Orphan Boys" Mess

Comment

That is a very interesting take that I had not considered. It is also entirely possible that he stopped to talk with the soldiers and said, "hey lets get a picture of you tearing up the railroad."

Would these mean be wearing jackets to do this type of work detail? It seems to me that this is a shed your jacket roll up your sleeves kind of work. Especially the frocks (i'm not the best at determining uni's but I think I see a couple). Also there is a guy standing at attention in the extreme left of the image. It makes me think after further examination that it may be an entirely posed image.
                      Last edited by lukegilly13; 07-20-2008, 07:08 PM. Reason: adding a question
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Attached is the companion photo to the one being discussed as was referred to earlier in this thread. Maybe this image will aid in the discussion.
                        Here is the link to the uncompressed .tiff version at the Library of Congress site. http://memory.loc.gov/master/pnp/cwpb/03300/03391u.tif
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by yankeecav; 07-20-2008, 09:13 PM.
                        Tom Lowe
                        Western Federal Blues
                        Tar Water Mess
                        GHTI
                        42nd Indiana Inf.

Across the Ohio we could see “Old Indiana.” This made the boys home sick. How they did want to cross the river into “God's Country.” James B. Shaw, 10th Indiana Inf.

Comment

Gents,
                          Heres some drawings of Sherman's men by the eyes of a Bohemian.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Gents,
                            I believe this photo was taken by George Barnard. He was employed by the Army and was sent to Atlanta in the fall of 1864 and took most of all of the images of Atlanta that are in the LOC.
                            Sherman did not order the railroads destroyed in Atlanta until Novemeber of 1864 to just prior to leaving on the march to the sea.
                            Brian Baird

Comment

Working...
                            X