93rd NY, Co. E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93rd NY, Co. E

I did a search and couldn't find any discussion on Co. E of the 93rd NY in Bealton, VA. Of course we all know the images, but I went in closer and noticed 3-4 of the soldier have "hat brass" anywhere but their hat, but on their coats. Can anyone shed some light on this? It just struck me as odd. Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1stsgt.93rdvy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	227905

Name:	pvt.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	227906

Name:	pvt2.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	227907
    Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Re: 93rd NY, Co. E

I have never noticed anything like that in pictures over the years. Very interesting and I am awaiting the responses from the better informed.
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS Company C
    Potomac Legion

Comment

Pretty cool.
      When was this image taken?
      Got a source credit?
      Peter Koch
      North State Rifles

Comment

That's probably the most unusual thing I've ever seen. Great pics
        Robert W. Hughes
        Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
        Thrasher Mess
        Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
        ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
        Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
        And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Hi,

Great photo!!! The flag is really cool!
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Hi,

In picture 3, it looks like the guy is wearing a "field modified" sack coat. Look how the sleeve goes in like a standard issue sack coat.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I have seen maybe half a dozen company letters on coats in images over the years.

The regimental numbers, though, are new to me. Great image!
              Last edited by Arch Campbell; 07-21-2008, 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar (lack thereof)
              Arch Campbell
              Hairy Nation
              Loyal Union League
              Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

I am not sure of the date, it is in Bealton, VA it is a series of company shots of the 93rd NY. If I had to take a stab at it I would say 63-64. There are shots of all the companies, and there are some really interesting uniforms. I have attached Company F. Notice the guy 6th from the right, directly under the flag looks to be a big time "old timer" and the guy resting his shoulders on his 2 pards all look to be extremely young, a very interesting contrast.

Also notice the gent 4th from the right standing up, anyone have any idea what that coat is? It seems way to long for a sack coat. I've added a picture of him. I have this whole series of most of the companies if anyone is interested in seeing them, send me a PM.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by BrandonEnglish; 07-22-2008, 07:52 AM.
                Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Hi,

It looks like some sort of private purchase sack coat. EOG has a coat that looks very close to how this coat looks.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Very interesting; nice catch. I have seen those images for years (albeit not in high res) and never noticed that.

There are images of zouaves from the 165th NY ("2nd Battalion Duryee's Zouaves") with individuals wearing what could be described as "hat brass" (usually the numeral "5th" in homage to the original regiment) on thier shirt-vests or jackets; I always attributed that as an idiosyncracsy related to the wearing of fez-caps often covered by a turban. Looks like it is not a zouave specific phenomenon after all...
                    Tom Scoufalos
                    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post
                      ...noticed 3-4 of the soldier have "hat brass" anywhere but their hat, but on their coats. Can anyone shed some light on this? It just struck me as odd. Thanks!
                      Brandon -

It's my undertanding that "hat brass" was only ever officially intended for the dress uniform shakos, the taller, stiffer hat issued to new regiments. That being the case, recruits would transfer the pins from that relativley useless hat to their everyday kepis or even forage caps or slouch hats. With no officially-designated spot or position for them, this brass would end up in whatever spot the particular fad was for any given unit.

This is born out by observing use of hat brass in other CW field images and studio portraits. In this case the brass appears to have missed the headgear all together.

This is another example of a concept hinted at before on this forum generally, that "for every accurate impression there will be an equal but opposite accurate impression."

Dan Wykes
                      Danny Wykes

Comment

I am not sure of the date, it is in Bealton, VA it is a series of company shots of the 93rd NY. If I had to take a stab at it I would say 63-64. There are shots of all the companies, and there are some really interesting uniforms. I have attached Company F. Notice the guy 6th from the right, directly under the flag looks to be a big time "old timer" and the guy resting his shoulders on his 2 pards all look to be extremely young, a very interesting contrast.

Also notice the gent 4th from the right standing up, anyone have any idea what that coat is? It seems way to long for a sack coat. I've added a picture of him. I have this whole series of most of the companies if anyone is interested in seeing them, send me a PM.
                        All of the 93rd NYVI images were likely taken on the same day in August 1863 while the regiment was still on HQ and provost guard duty (it remained in this assignment until April 1864). In the well-known images showing 93rd NYVI field musicians as well as the regimental staff, you'll note there is an identical large flag draped over some poles in the background. The position of the flag is identical in both images, which indicates they were made within a short time of each other.

You can see several ID'd studio portraits of 93rd NYVI officers here--they can be easily picked out in the field photos:

Some years ago, while perusing the image of Company G, 93rd NYVI, I was able to ID the 2nd Lieutenant in it based on a studio photo that I discovered elsewhere on the Web. I'm sorry, but I can't immediately remember his name now (he's the hatless officer in the right foreground without visible rank insignia). I'm sorry to say the young man was, as memory serves, KIA around Spotsylvania C. H. in May 1864.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

All of the 93rd NYVI images were likely taken on the same day in August 1863 while the regiment was still on HQ and provost guard duty (it remained in this assignment until April 1864). In the well-known images showing 93rd NYVI field musicians as well as the regimental staff, you'll note there is an identical large flag draped over some poles in the background. The position of the flag is identical in both images, which indicates they were made within a short time of each other.

You can see several ID'd studio portraits of 93rd NYVI officers here--they can be easily picked out in the field photos:

Some years ago, while perusing the image of Company G, 93rd NYVI, I was able to ID the 2nd Lieutenant in it based on a studio photo that I discovered elsewhere on the Web. As I recall, his name was Norman F. Eldridge (he's the hatless officer in the right foreground without visible rank insignia). I'm sorry to say the young man was KIA in the Wilderness.

Another sad story is Captain John Bailey, Company F, also KIA in the Wilderness. See attachment below.

Four officers of the 93rd NYVI were reported KIA or MW in the Wilderness fighting from 5 - 7 May 1864:

Captain Dennis E. Barnes
                          Captain John Bailey
                          Lieutenanant Norman F. Eldridge
                          Lieutenant Robert L. Gray

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by markj; 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM.
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I also noticed that most are wearing sack coats but a few are wearing frock coats. I would think everyone in the company would have been issued similar coats. Does anyone know why there would be a difference?
                            Morgan B. Tittle

The Drunken Lullaby Mess

"... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
                            Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Comment

Mark and Dan,

Thanks for the information, I was curious as to when the picture was taken, good thing to know.

As for the 'brass" I have discovered that in the other compnay shots A-F companies there are plenty of other guys that did this, mostly just the company letter and not the "93."
                              Brandon English

Comment

Working...
                              X