Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Regiment

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the regiment of the soldier found at http://www.williegrout.org/B-Buckle.jpg

It is a 1/6 plate tintype. I'm guessing state militia.

Any help appreciated.

Ed Norris

Re: Help Identifying Regiment

It looks a whole lot like one of those 10,000-odd imported Chasseur a Pied uniforms issued out to several AOP regiments, including the 18th Mass, 83rd PA, 62nd PA, among others. The buckle with the letter "B" on it is a little odd, and something about the pic does seem a little "off"...for some reason, the face of the guy...maybe the style of his facial hair or something...brings to my mind those post war regular army images of enlisted men in their dress uniforms with the pseudo-pickelhaubs. Best I can do.
    Tom Scoufalos
    [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Good morning friend,

I'm pretty sure that this is a post-war image. The bayonet scabbard closely resembles that of an 1873 trap-door. His uniform is much closer to a post war model as well. (Forgive me, as I am no expert on post-war uniform specs.) I believe the 1872 pattern dress coat. Anybody else?

I hope this helps some.
      [B]Byron Faidley[/B]

[I]Loblolly Mess,
      23rd Virginia,
      and the Loyal State Rifles
      3NITL
      [/I]

Comment

Hello,
        I have to agree...the coat very strongly resembles the 1872 pattern.
        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Thanks for the help. Glad I didn't spend much. The person I purchased it from thought it might be New York militia. I thought it might be post war because that type of scenery and background was popular in the 1870s. It all ties in nicely.

Ed

Comment

I don't know if I want to know the answer or not but ...

Is this a military jacket and if so does anyone recognize it?

I promise, last one.

Ed

Comment

Thanks for sharing the last photo. I don't know about others but that man's coat has a lot of features in common with a Peter Tait jacket: 2-piece sleeves, double row of machine stitching, keyhole buttonholes, what appears to be an 8 button front, and raw edges. Compare with close up below. Thoughts anyone?
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Here's another photograph of that type of jacket, from the modern day suttler Richmond Depot

More information at http://www.military-historians.org/c...federate-3.htm

Ed Norris

Comment

Working...
                X