For your viewing pleasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For your viewing pleasure

Also, I figured that these other two photos of documents would be of interest to somebody. Even though they are not images of people, they are images nonetheless so I figured they belonged here.
    The first photo is a copy of a certificate of a disability for discharge of another ggg grandpa of my girlfriend named William P. Robbe. The handwriting is really hard for me to read but here is what I can make out- He was in Co.E, 45th Ill. Infantry. Enlisted in Galena, Ill. on Sept. 24, 1861 for a term of 3 years at the age of 19. He was 5ft. 9 1/2 in., dark complexion, blue eyes, dark hair, and occupation when enlisted was farmer. Was wounded on May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg by enemy gunfire. The surgeon who filled out the bottom goes on to say where he was wounded but I can't read the parts seeing as how they are all medical terms and the writing is difficult. After being unfit for duty due to the wounds, he was discharged Aug. 15, 1863. Rank was sergeant at the time of discharge.

The second is a letter from his company commander at the time of discharge.

FYI, he survived his wounds and was married to Sarah Watson on Nov. 15, 1873, and lived out his days in Illinois.

EDIT: I've included as the third photo an article written about him in 1911 by the local newspaper explaining his being wounded at Vicksburg and the story behind it. I didn't read it until after posting this.

I hope these are of interest or help to anyone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KPavia; 07-25-2008, 11:55 AM.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Great docs to have about anybody's family. Here is what I can make out. Somebody may do a better job translating.

Gun shot wound received at Vicksburg, May 22 of '63 – a ball entered the right side opposite the second bone of the _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (Possibly “Sacrumig”). Passed through the pelvic cavity wounding the bowels, and passed out the inner side of the thigh one inch below the Openinium. Disability three fourths – Is not a fit subject for the Invalid Detachment

I think it is the 2nd bone of the saccroliliac or tail bone. the "Openinium" is the anal opening or but hole. in layman's terms the bullet entered the right middle butt cheek passed through the large intestine, then exited his left inner thigh jsut below his private parts. The wound angled from the side of the butt to the front.

Some one else may have a better interpitation.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X