Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seven Pines

Hi,

I noticed something interesting about this photo today, 3 of the men in the back are wearing sword bayonets. What weapon would they be using to need these type of bayonets? I know they could be using Mississippi Rifles, M1855 Rifles, and the 2 band Enfields, but I did not think any of these weapons were common in the Federal Army. Any information would be wonderful. I also do not know how to enlarge the photo. So, if anyone wants to enlarge the photo that would be great. Thanks.

( I posted a different question earlier, but was able to find what I was looking for. Thanks)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-07-2008, 11:59 AM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Seven Pines

I do believe this is the same photo that was discussed in the following, and much earlier, thread:

Farbs?

The attachments have either been deleted or are too old to be viewed.

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

If you look to the right of the image, you will find a Sharps rifle slung over a post or otherwise. For the most part, if Sharps 1859 infantry rifles were fitted with bayonets, they were often saber bayonets. One very obvious exception to this was the special-order Sharps with double-set triggers ordered by Hiram Berdan, and (obviously) issued out in quantity to the 1st and 2nd USSS and, apparantly to Berdan's chagrin, other units as well (the only one that comes to mind is the 42nd PA/13th Reserves/Kane Rifles/"True" Bucktails). Those were fitted with socket bayonets, at least those issued out to the "green coats".
      Tom Scoufalos
      [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

Here are some really cool up-close details from the image, which I post here for everyone's edification-

Closeup of the saber bayonet lug under the 1859 Sharps muzzle

Closeup of the bayonet hilt

Closeup of another soldier obviously holding a rifle (given the height of the muzzle) suggesting that the obvious Sharps is not a "red herring":

Closeup of the hat brass on the cap of the recombant soldier to the left

Perhaps most exciting for me: a soldier deep in the background who appears to be wearing jambieres and gaiters. At first, I thought he may have been a 5th NY Zouave since they were cross trained as both heavy and light artillery, and several companies were detached from the main regiment and served heavy artillery batteries closely with the 1st CT. heavies on The Peninsula. However, the uniform ain't right. Could be someone in an imported chassieur a pied uniform, the "Lost Children Battalion" from NY (Les Enfants Perdius...I'm sure I spelled the last word wrong), &cet

A dude quite spiffed out with a sizeable cravat, which is interesting given the heat and humidity of the peninsula and the hard fatigue work heavies were subject to:

Closeup of the "ghost column" of infantry at right shoulder shift in middle distance:
          Last edited by RN_PAC; 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM. Reason: added stuff
          Tom Scoufalos
          [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks fo the pictures Tom.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
            X