Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petersburg Dead

Hi,

I was looking through some photos of the dead Confederates at Petersburg, and I noticed that the Enfield, in the back ground, has barrel band springs (not sure if that is the right term).Does anyone know what type of rifle musket this is? Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Petersburg Dead

It looks like a damaged 1853 Enfield. Looks as if the end of the barrel is bent. I can't zoom in to the picture, but thats what I see.
    Don Woods
    Member ABT

Comment

Hi,

It looks like a damaged 1853 Enfield. Looks as if the end of the barrel is bent. I can't zoom in to the picture, but thats what I see.
      Yes, the end of the barrel does look like it is damaged.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

There are a few very good threads discussing this and similar images of the abandoned Petersburg works.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

It's a Brazilian Light Minie.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
            It's a Brazilian Light Minie.
            With a CS canvas sling.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for enlarging the image Mr. Schmidt.
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

If that is indeed the rare Brazilian Light Minie, might its presence shed some light on the identity of one of the units that fought in this area?

Of course, it could be a photographer's prop, but the fact that it's both clearly damaged and doesn't appear in any of the other Roche views makes it seem likely to me that it could have been dropped there or somewhere nearby.
                  Brendan Hamilton
                  Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

I think folks would be surprised at the variety of arms used by the Confederate army around Petersburg. It is a forgone conclusiion that the majority of arms used were the P-53 Enfield and the 61 or 63 Springfields. But, I have found parts from bar on band enfields (see pic), Austrian Lorenz, M-1841, M-55 Springfield lock with a tape primer, the sight off of the light minie rifle and even a brass barrel band from an Ashville rifle. All were found in CS positions. (If anyone knows someone with an Ashville rifle that needs a middle band I am your man.) Some of the same goes for ammunition. Two rounds that Iwas surprised to find in CS trenches were Colt Revolving rifle bullets and .54 baby austrians. Surprisingly I have only found one .69 cal. minie and that was at Pamplin Park (before it was park). What arm may be considered rare now, may not have been so rare back then. Also the Confederate Army did allow troops with two band rifles to be in ranks.
                    Attached Files
                    Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Jim, have you ever come across a lead conical "Minie'" style bullet with 2 holes bored across from eachother on either side of the nose going straight back into the bullet but not all the way through it? It is about .56" and has 2 bands. A buddy that has land in the Murfreesboro, TN area found it and said he'd found some others like it in the same spot. I got a look at it but don't have a picture to post so all I can do is describe it at this time. We thought about cross-cutting it to see what the holes might connect to, (perhaps a hollow powder chamber?) but that would destroy the bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Watts View Post
                        Jim, have you ever come across a lead conical "Minie'" style bullet with 2 holes bored across from eachother on either side of the nose going straight back into the bullet but not all the way through it? It is about .56" and has 2 bands. A buddy that has land in the Murfreesboro, TN area found it and said he'd found some others like it in the same spot. I got a look at it but don't have a picture to post so all I can do is describe it at this time. We thought about cross-cutting it to see what the holes might connect to, (perhaps a hollow powder chamber?) but that would destroy the bullet.
                        Todd,

Perhaps you could provide some sort of sketch to help us visualize what your describing?

If you can provide pictures...this might be something interesting to post on the Company of Military Historians website...or have printed in the Journal?

Thanks,

Paul B.
                        Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                        (Loblolly Mess)
                        [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                        [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Watts View Post
                            Todd: I can't say I have ever seen one like that. They are not wormer holes are they?

If you can get a picture try posting it on the forum below. I have had good luck getting oddball things ID there. The latest thing that had me stumped is on the Artillery part of the forum under "ID needed". Ever hear of a Peavy shell?

Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

I know this is a Petersburg thread but since it is somewhat related to seldom seen guns I thought I would give this a try.

Does anyone have any info on P-58 bar on band Enfields as to regimental use or soldier ID?

There doesn't seem to be much information on the use of this arm and I thought I would try to start a data base on their use. Ever since I found the barrel band shown earlier in this thread I have been looking for one and finally succeded at the Richmond Show. Since Bryan has already broken the ice I will post a picture of a P-58. Take a look at the front band and you can see where it gets it's name. All the hardware is iron. Now how do you get those big pictures?
                              Attached Files
                              Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Working...
                              X