Frederick, Md. C.S. campaign photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick, Md. C.S. campaign photo

A candidate for the most evocative Civil War photograph, one I keep coming back to over the years, is the 1864(?) photo taken from a second story a Frederick, Maryland balcony over A. Rosen's dry goods establishment. It illustrates Confederate infantry, usually identified as Early's men, in marching column, halted, with what appear to be sergeants and officers fallen out. the best copy I've seen appears on page 15 of Time/Life's "Arms and Equipment of the Confederacy".
    Has anyone ever attempted a computer enhancement of this frustratingly just-out-of-focus image?

Judge David Fox
    David Fox

Re: Frederick, Md. C.S. campaign photo

Sir, here is a site with this image donated by Joseph Rosenstocks descendants. http://americanhistory.si.edu/milita...=480&hideAlt=1 Thanks.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hello,
      You state that the image is from 1864; however, it is not known if the image was taken in 1862, or 1864...CS troops passed thru Frederick both years....See Frassanito's book on the Antitam photos for further comments regarding this.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

It has been discussed a time or two, not any enhancement though;
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I banged this up in photoshop. It's a collage of sorts of that enhanceable image to make a full viewable pic to keep. Hope it helps some.
          Attached Files
          -Rob Williams
          Ft. Delaware State Park
          Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
          p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Comment

Since the sign is not reversed (words readable), can we assume what looks like guns, as well as blanket rolls on right shoulders are actually the left? It appears they have the hammers resting on the shoulder with the trigger guards up which, I think, is a pre-war military position (wasn't that a variant of support arms or rest?)

Joe Walker
            Waco Guards
            CMH

Comment

Joe I think you are right....that looks to me like I see several soldiers carrying thier rifles in the early war manner.
              Also, I see a few sack coats and maybe a couple of early war knapsacks (looks like a kibler about mid image to the left of the guy in the unmissible light colored hat). Looks like some shirt sleeves and civilian hats. This does not specify late war or early war necessarily...it would be nice if we could see a couple of Tate jackets or a commutation or two. I don't see eppaulets but if they weren't functionable I don't think you would. What time of year were confederates here in '62 and in '64? This coudl make a difference in dress.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

I think there has been prior discussions on the date of the picture and I am sure some fellow with Fredrick research can speculate. When I was last there, the visitor's center in town were real proud of the picture but couldn't date it either. If we could figure out which way they were marching (direction) it would help. Perhaps someone will read this and update the research.

Joe Walker

Comment

At least a few of the men appear to sport frock coats which although not absolute by any means seems to lend itself to an earlier war feel (i.e. 1862). You do see a forage caps/kepi's on a few of the folks w/the vast majority sporting hats, many of them broad brimmed. Muskets are carried in variety of positions with many being carried on the right shoulder in a relaxed "right shoulder shift" posture. Even those that are carrying their muskets w/the cock resting on their shoulders are carrying it at right shoulder shift according to Scott's manual. Blanket rolls predominate and it is noteworthy that some are over the right shoulder versus the left. The Rosenstock photo always seemed to show some Confederates circa 1862 in my mind but the time-frame (either 1862 or 1864) is still open to debate.
                  [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

How about the man with the white-looking slouch-hat in the bottom right? Could that be a straw boater-style hat with a wide brim?

-Johnny Lloyd
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I have always felt that this pic was taken during the 1862 Maryland Campaign. I believe this picture was taken on West Patrick Street, which continues out of town (modern day Rt. 40) and leads to Middletown, Boonesboro, and Hagerstown. I also believe these men are traveling west based on comparing existing buildings with the buildings in the photo. If they were indeed traveling west, it is unlike an 1864 photo, as the Confederates were
                      A. traveling east from Hagerstown, Boonesboro, and Middletown
                      B. fighting and pushing Federals out of town, eventually leading to the Monocacy. I doubt they had time to stop for a photo.

I also believe what little detail is in the photo tends to match the descriptions of Confederates during the 1862 campaign. Also, a local citizen noted in his diary the long lines of Confederates marching through Frederick in 1862, noting that for hours one could not cross the street.

This hypothesis is still not 100%, as some buildings have been significantly altered and many buildings look alike in this part of town.

One possibility that I will point out, as people seem to overlook it, is that this could be an 1863 photograph, taken during the Gettysburg Campaign. However, unless more evidence is found, I personally believe this is from 1862.

What angers me is why only one photo exists. If the army was passing by for hours, why didnt this guy take more than one picture? And if he did, where are the others!

To answer the time of year question, the Confederates marched through Frederick in September 1862 and July 1864.
                      [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Hey Mike,

Remember that one day LH we did years ago where we marched down Patrick street and recreated the Rosenstock photo? That took some doing & I doubt we could do that one again given the traffic that piles down that street nowadays. Anyway, one thing about the photo to remember is that a lot of the Confederates are traveling REALLY light. Carrying only a thin blanket roll, haversack, canteen & accoutrements. It is something to remember when you are on a march/event carrying something akin to Si Klegg's "serious miscalculation" knapsack. And if you get wet or cold while carrying so little baggage well then, you've just experienced some of what they had to put up with! Take care.
                        [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]En Obtien!...James T. Miller[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Gents,
                          It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out...The Rosenstock building is on the right side of the soldiers, as evidenced by the sign ( which lettering is not reversed)...What direction would you be traveling if the building was on your right? Thanks.
                          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Sir,the image in EoG A&E of the Confederacy is slightly larger and clearer all around. The light shaded hat in this photo with flat crown, wide brim (and ribbon?) looks like the straw hat on page 169 (EoG) made by a Mrs. Bonney of Mississippi. Also as I look across the street there looks to be someone sitting on the sidewalk curb barefooted. (The lumber on other side of sign could have a shadow cast from overhead, IMO). Am enjoying this and previous threads and look forward to others consideration of this image.My two cents, thanks.
                            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Working...
                            X