Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Soldier

Hi,

This is a very interesting photo. The two things that I found interesting were:

1. The overshirt (battle shirt) is set up like a jacket

2. His belt buckle ( if anyone can zoom in on it, that would be a great help)

Any thoughts on this image?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: No Photo
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Confederate Soldier

Check out this link-

for information on Pvt Solomon Moore, the buckle and a very detailed history of the 6th NC.
    Sincerely
    Bob Brewer
    Gaithersburg,MD
    Robert Brewer

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the link.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Sir, I'm using EoG A&E of the Confereracy as my bearing on this image. Although you don't see the front sling swivel, he looks to armed with the U.S. model 1842 .69-cal. smoothbore. Looks to me that he may have two shirt pockets with something hanging around his neck tucked into other (hidden) pocket. Going way out on the limb here, his belt buckle appears to have lettering on the bottom and looks a lot like the 6th Inf. North Carolina State Troops image (pp190 EoG). (Something going on with his left head side?) Looks like an early image IMO. My two cents on a nice photo, thanks for posting.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hi,

I know this is just a drawing, but is this the buckle you are talking about. I thought this was what he was wearing, but I was not sure. I have seen the one in EOG, and it is a very intersting belt buckle. As for what he is armed with, I agree that it looks like the M1842 Springfield. I orginially thought that is was the rifles version, because of the background underneath his sleeve makes it look almost like a rear sight. But, after reviewing the image, I can see that it was just background.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Yes sir, thats the buckle I"m also thinking about, EoG pp 190.
            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

"Hi, This is a very interesting photo. The two things that I found interesting were:
              1. The overshirt (battle shirt) is set up like a jacket"

Yes- this "shirt" is set up like a jacket. Any ideas on how the trim along the front was sewn? Over the shirt? Seperate and maybe a part of the facing?
              Would this "shirt" have been lined?
              Has anyone found a pattern like or similar to this " shirt"?(I have used the search feature, but may have missed something)
              Thanks
              Bob Brewer
              Gaithersburg,MD
              Robert Brewer

Comment

Working...
              X