Two Georgia Confederates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Georgia Confederates

I thought you'd enjoy looking at these two Georgia Rebs. They are basically unidentified, however the one in the Slouch hat is named Adams and possibly from Hartwell, Georgia.

Greg Starbuck
    Attached Files
    The brave respect the brave. The brave
    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Re: Two Georgia Confederates

Hi,
    Did you notice that the man in the frock coat, has 2 buttons next to his colar? He is also is carrying a pistol, and while not uncommon in photos, he is carrying it in a holster. The man in the shell jacket is armed with some sort of musket (it looks to me like a M1842 Springfield). Any thoughts on what type of jacket he is wearing? Do you know what theater of war these men fought in? Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I know this is probably a stupid question but i had to ask, Looking at the two, one has his cartridge box and cap box on what would be his left side, I have seen several images like this, Union and Confederate, and was wondering if this was a common practice or if he was actually left handed.
      Rick Spencer
      19th U.S. infantry, The Rock Of Chickamauga!
      Ohio Valley Civil War Assoc.
      66th ill. Birge's Western Sharpshooters
      [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Hi,

The photo with the man in the shell jacket, has been flipped. Here is a picture of a reenactor, that is wearing his cartridge box on his right side, but in the photo it looks like it is on his left.
        Attached Files
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

posted twice...not sure why...deleting the first one
          Last edited by lukegilly13; 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM. Reason: not sure why it posted twice......deleted this one.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Hi,

Good point about the buton holes, for the most part that will give you the answer. But as you said some had the button holes on the other side.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Originally posted by rick35ovi View Post
              I know this is probably a stupid question but i had to ask, Looking at the two, one has his cartridge box and cap box on what would be his left side, I have seen several images like this, Union and Confederate, and was wondering if this was a common practice or if he was actually left handed.
              This is NOT a stupid question at all. In fact, it can become very difficult to answer. One way that sometimes (not necessarily 100% efficient) is to look very closely at the jacket and see which side the buttons are on versus the button holes. Buttons should be on the right...however there are a few jackets out there, I believe, that were made opposite. Another way that is more efficient is to examin their equipment. Look at the lock on the rifle. If the rifle is on his right side the lock will be away from him(i.e. on the outside of the rifle)...if it is on his left then it will be next to him. This method would be full proof unless someone out there has documentation of military issue rifles that are oppsite. When there's no gear...you may never be sure...but the buttons are a good guide.

In this case...the man in the shell jacket has bttons on the left, accoutrements on the left, but most importantly...his bayonett is offset to the right. So this image has been flipped. Now more interesting, the guy in the frock. His buttons are also on the left but his accoutrements on the right...his bayonett is offset to the left. His image is not flipped but his frock must be made backwards. This would help to explain the interesting set of buttons up top that Andrew pointed out.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Is it just me, or does the guy in the first picture appear to have his fly unbuttoned and his shirt exposed through the gap in the fly?
                [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Hi,

Here is something interesting, the man in the shell jacket, is wearing his cartridge box, cap box, and bayonet sheath all on one side.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

The buttons on the collar of the second soldier may be to attach an cape or rain cover. I think there is an image of a Gen. Reynolds (C.S.) were a similarly arranged frock coat, with buttons around the base of the collar.
                    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

After thinking about this frock coat since my break today...i've been wondering...
                      Is it common that frocks on Georgia folks have the buttons on the wrong side?
                      Luke Gilly
                      Breckinridge Greys
                      Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

I have been searching for some other images that seem to have things reversed but i i am a novice to say the least, I have seen a few that seem to have muskets with locks on the left side, I realize some images apear to be fliped but how you can make a musket look left handed is still a little hard to wrap my head around, if anyone has one these pics handy please post to see what i mean. I have never seen a left handed contract musket but as i said before i am a novice, do they exist?
                        Rick Spencer
                        [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

Found one from an earlier post. http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...6&d=1216968619 If you look at his rifle it looks left handed to me, but his cartridge box and equipment are all in the right place, How does the camera photograph the back of the musket? If you hold your musket in the same position as his you should be seeing the lock, am i correct?
                          Rick Spencer
                          [url]www.ovcwa.com[/url]

Comment

This is a modern explanation so Mods delete it if you must but this will clear it up....
                            Set down in a chair with your musket standing on your lap with the trigger guard toward the camera and hold it with your right hand....have someone take a picture with a modern camera. Look at the image...the lockplate is away from your body (pointing to your right). Then set down in the same position but instead of taking a picture just have someone hold up a mirror in front of you. What you will see in the reflection is an impossible scenario as your reflection will be holding the musket with your left hand and the lockplate will be facing away from your body (reflection) on the left side (as a left handed musket would be).
                            Luke Gilly
                            Breckinridge Greys
                            Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Tintypes, Ambrotypes and Daguerreotypes are always mirror images and Cdvs (unless mis-printed) are not. If you look at the rifles in the two images in question one has his barrel side toward the camera, the other has the trigger side towards the camera - that accounts for the seemingly different bayonet positions.

I have seen plenty of photos where kit has been re-arranged and even rings flipped on fingers to make things look 'right' in wet plate images.
                              KC MacDonald
                              Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
                              Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
                              Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X