Nero, the Barton family dog, ca. 1880

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nero, the Barton family dog, ca. 1880

My submission for the October cover image of Authentic Campaigner: Nero, the Barton family dog, circa 1880. ...What. So it's an antebellum image of a dog. Somebody thought he was special enough to have a Daguerreotype taken of him.
    Attached Files
    Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
    The swallows fly low
    Over the fields in clouded days,
    The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Re: Nero, the Barton family dog, ca. 1880

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    What. So it's an antebellum image of a dog. Somebody thought he was special enough to have a Daguerreotype taken of him.
    Surprisingly, not really all that uncommon to find "man's faithful companion" in personal portraits. It certainly reflects how important they were to owners. And let's not forget all the LoC ones!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 09-09-2008, 06:40 PM.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Check the date...if it is, in fact, a Dag (a dog-Dag?) I doubt it's as late as 1880. The image, and its accompanying brass mat, read a lot more 1850s to me. Where's this from?
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has included "George Armstrong" and his pooch (see below).

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
        Attached Files
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I wish, if someone has a copy of the image of Mistah Gatlin and his Good Dog, taken at NSA's Battle of Franklin on the Rippavilla property about 5 years ago, they would post it.

I still look for that dog on a clear fall day............
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I would love to get an image struck with our chocolate lab, Mocha. The problem is that the world is far more likely to come to a screeching halt in it's regular course around the sun than it would be for her to even approximate stillness for more than one unit of Planck time.

Thanks to all for sharing those images...I am very partial to period photographs of/including pets...I'm a softie for animals I guess (but not enough to drive me to vegitarianism!!)
            Tom Scoufalos
            [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Speaking of dogs, I still chuckle when I remember my first campaigner event (Payne's Farm, 2005) in which I was watching the Confederates in the distance getting into battle order when I noticed among them a dog on a leash. I think I remember that shortly the owner unleashed the little guy, and it could be seen running around among them. Not sure how he fared in the ensueing battle; I didn't see him on the casualty list.
              Randy Valle

"Skimming lightly, wheeling still,
              The swallows fly low
              Over the fields in clouded days,
              The forest-field of Shiloh--"

-Herman Melville

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X