Unique Union Fort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Union Fort

Pork-barrel spending is apparently nothing new. Cite this unique close-up view of Union Ft. Conahey, on the western extension of the Petersburg siege lines. This view is from the LOC and taken from the Union signal tower near Ft. Fisher.

It is aptly described by the acerbic Federal artillerist Col. Charles S. Wainwright: “The works around our present lines are now all finished. All of them save Conahey are simple redoubts, while Fort Conahey is complicated enough to make up for all the rest and to afford illustration for a whole course of lectures on engineering. It has no recognized geometric form that I ever saw. It is located on the side of a ravine. One half, being on the level at top, is an ordinary open work; the other in the ravine has bomb-proofed casements and embrasures commanding the ravine both ways, with a musketry parapet above. A loophole stockade divides the two parts of the work. This fort has cost more labor than any other, has afforded an admirable lesson in engineering, and is one of the sights to show to strangers. Further than this I doubt the value of its elaborateness.”
    Attached Files
    Last edited by roundshot; 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Unique Union Fort

Wow...abatis!
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Bob,

Awesome find! I drove by the remains of this fort countless times this summer and it's nice to see to how it actually looked during the War.

Fun Facts about Fort Conahey:

*Built between October 3-26 1864.
      *Named after 2nd Lt. John Conahey of the 118th Pennsylvania who was killed at the Battle of Peebles Farm.
      * Had 11 gun emplacements on 2 levels; 4 guns on top level, 4 on ground level through embrasures. 3 guns mounted en barbette.
      *However only 4 guns were actually here, two 3-inch rifles and two light 12-pounders, Battery C 1st New York Artillery.
      *Was built to have a garrison of 75 men.
      *Garrisoned by a detachment from the 2nd Division, 6th Corps.

BB
      Bill Backus

Comment

Sir, what a great photo, thanks for bringing it out. If I may, here is an expanded view of this image. www.civil-war.net Roll to "Photos Database", click "Other Locations", photo is #333 "View from signal tower, Petersburg, Va. 1864". Thanks again.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hi,

That is a very cool fort!!!!!! Thanks for posting the picture.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Working...
          X