Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Image

Hi,

This is a portrait of Emanuel Rudasill, Company M, 16th North Carolina Regiment. The picture has some very interesting aspects to it, such as the flag, the North Carolina sack coat, sword, and the U.S. style officers shoulder boards.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 09-23-2008, 07:20 AM.
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: North Carolina Image

Kinda has a post-war feel to it: could the veteran be posing, say, in the 1880s?
    David Fox

Comment

Hi,

You may be right, but I think it is a early war photo. The reason for this, is because he is wearing shoulder boards and a NC sack coat. If I recall right, wasn't it legal to show sembles of the Confederacy after the war. That is why some original jackets have their buttons covered with cloth. Any other thoughts on the subject?
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Sir, nice image indeed, the soldier looks to fill his uniform well. The halberd staff ornament for this regimental battle flag is nice and I notice battle honors painted on it. The battle streamers IMhO look to read, "May --?-- 1863 , Chancellorsville?". The 16th North Carolina Infantry Regiment surrendered 12 officers and 83 men at Appomattox court house, I wonder if the regimental battle flag was also surrendered. My two cents and thanks for posting this photo. Post war photo, hum?
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for posting the information on the regiment. I did not notice the battle honors, which would mean that I was wrong in my conclusion of a early war photo.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

A very quick search showed me that the flag is in Raleigh. I can only assume that Howard Madaus approved the details when he surveyed the collection in the 1980s. Though I would have assigned an earlier year, 1863 is an acceptable circa date assigned by the museum.

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/MOH/vfpcgi.exe?IDCFile=/moh/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=6149,DATABASE=54136421,

Artifact Description:
            CSA FLAG, 16TH NCT; STARS APPLIQUED & EDGED W/ SEQUINS, METALLIC FRINGE ON ALL BUT STAFF EDGES, 5 PAIRS OF TWILL TIES, HONORS EMBROIDERED, FADED, SPLIT. Access#: 1914.125.1 Artifact Class: FLAGS Associations: 16TH REGIMENT,NC TROOPS/ASSOCIATED WITH --SEMAN, R. C., MISS --RUDASILL, EMANUEL --CIVIL WAR Dimensions: [Lt] [Wdt] [Ht]3' 3 13/16" Materials: SILK Date Made: 1863 Place Made: CSA VIRGINIA RICHMOND Place Used: CSA Use History:

Rudasill is not wearing a 61 Warrant NC coat. The cap isn't what I would consider wartime and I can't seem to find an image with resolution high enough to see it better. Rudisall's age during his period of enlistment may help date it too.
            Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 09-23-2008, 06:34 PM. Reason: added age note
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Not a very clear image:

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

This image appears in one of my Images of War series books, and is captioned as being post-War, during the many reunions being held.
                Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

There isn't much on Emanuel Rudisill. I do have a copy of "Potraits of Conflict" by Richard McCaslin, who used to be a professor of History at High Point University. I believe he is now a professor at SMU or TCU. Somewhere in Texas as I've lost contact with him since he's moved away. He has a page dedicated to Rudisill in his book. It states;

"When Jackson's Chancellorsville assault stalled under artillery fire, Brig,. General W. Dorsey Pender's Brigade, which included the 16th NC Infantry, moved to the front. A veteran recalled that "being uninvited and unlooked for guests we caused quite a commotion." They pressed the Federals until dark, then the 16th Regiment joined Maj. General Jeb stuart to attack a Union Calvary picket about midnight. They rejoined Pender to rest three hours at dawn. Pender's brigade suffered heavy casualties in the tangled underbrush, but a general Confederate advance secured the triumph for Lee.

In all, the regiment suffered 105 casualties, among whom was Emanuel Rudisill, who had enlisted in Gaston County in March of 1862 as a private in Company M, 16th North Carolina infantry. He had already fought in the Seven Days, at Second Bull Run, in Maryland, and at Fredericksburg. After recovering from his wound, he served in the Wilderness, at Spotsylvania and at Cold Harbor, and in the lines at Petersburg.

In the summer of 1864, after his predecessor was killed in the Wilderness, Rudisill became the last color sergeant for the 16th Infantry. The flag behind him, which bears the regimental honors through Chancellorsville, was made made by a lady in Richmond. He and ninety-four survivors of the regiment surrendered at Appomattox." cabinet card _________ Caradine, Sherman, Texas."

Mark Berrier
                  North state Rifles
                  Mark Berrier

Comment

From " North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster" volume VI, page 114:

RUDISILL, EMANUEL, Private
                    Resided in Gaston County where he enlisted on March 17th, 1662 for the war. Present or accounted for until wounded at Chancellorsville, Virginia, May 3 1863. Returned to duty prior to September 1 1863. Present or accounted for until appointed Ensign on August 17-18, 1864, and transferred to the Field and Staff of this regiment.

Page 12:
                    RUDISILL, EMANUEL
                    Previously served in company M of this regiment. Appointed Ensign On August 17-18, 1864, and transferred to the Field and Staff. Present or accounted for until paroled at Appomattox Court House, April 9 1865.

Jim Baugh

Comment

Originally posted by Enfilade View Post
                      There isn't much on Emanuel Rudisill. I do have a copy of "Potraits of Conflict" by Richard McCaslin, who used to be a professor of History at High Point University. I believe he is now a professor at SMU or TCU. Somewhere in Texas as I've lost contact with him since he's moved away. He has a page dedicated to Rudisill in his book. It states;
                      Mark,

Dr. McCaslin was my history prof. at HPU, he was an awesome teacher. He was never fond of how he was treated at HPU, I believe he went to TCU and not SMU, but it's been a few years so I could be wrong. Hell of a good teacher though!
                      Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

You're probably right Brandon. I haven't had contact with him since he left High Point. He was a really nice guy and easy to talk to about our Period as he was very knowledgeable about it. I tried to get him to come over to the High Point Museum when we did a LH there but he had a conflict at the time. I hope to see him again sometime.

Regards,

Mark Berrier
                        North State Rifles
                        Mark Berrier

Comment

Working...
                        X