The Cumberland Gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cumberland Gap

Image buffs....here is one for your entertainment and my education. This is an image of The Cumberland Gap where VA, KY, and TN come together during Union Occupation. Unfortunately there are no dates associated with the image. The Gap changed hands 4 times throughout the war. I've always found the tentage in the image to be interesting....looks like possible Sibley Tents???? Feel free to take a gander and shoot an opinion!
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: The Cumberland Gap

Picture posted is a scan of the original image located in the Archives at the CGNHP.
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Where did all the trees go? Its interesting to see the gap with so few trees. As for the tents it looks to be a mix between mostly sibleys and what looks like some A frames up just below the notch. Interesting image.
      Jake Koch
      The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
      https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
      -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
      -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

My understanding is that they cut down the trees to create a clear shot for artillery and so that no one could slip through the passing undetected. Not sure what they did with all the lumber there after!
        Luke Gilly
        Breckinridge Greys
        Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

My understanding is that they cut down the trees to create a clear shot for artillery and so that no one could slip through the passing undetected. Not sure what they did with all the lumber there after!
          Hi,

Most likely they used the wood for fire wood, shelter, and defensive positions, but this is just a thought. Cool image, thanks for posting it.

Andrew
          Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 09-23-2008, 07:50 PM.
          Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I have read luke, were the soldier cut down some 2,000 or more trees off the gap area, Love the picture! Look's cool, you ever see the other one in the gen. store?

Comment

Possibly the trees were used to feed furnaces up and down the western side of VA? Just a thought...
              [FONT=Century Gothic]Very Respectfully,
              Brian G. Holt
              VMI CWRT
              61st New York
              Co. E CVG
              [/FONT]

Comment

My Great Uncle died at Cumberland Gap in '62 of some sickness. His Brother, My Great Grandfather, Joined his unit, 7th Kentucky Veteran Volunteers, and finished the war as its Quartermaster.
                Both are buried in Oakly Cemetary near London, KY.

Jim Baugh

Comment

What an amazing story! I hope you enjoyed the pic! My GGG Grandfather was captured at Cranes Nest and escaped somewhere between there and Cumberland Gap. He later was listed on the Re-muster of the 64th there.
                  Wes, I have seen the other one. It shows a neat view as well!
                  My favorite part of this image is the larger tents up near the saddle area of the Gap. Why would those be up that much higher than the others?
                  Luke Gilly
                  Breckinridge Greys
                  Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

Sir, there is another site with two photos (panorama) of this image. The URL did not stick for me but the site is http://history.ky.gov/sub.php?pageid=94&sectionid=14 Click KHS digital collections, then in the top right search box type "Cumberland Gap", photos are on second page number 35. Luke, thanks for bringing out this image and I hope this helps a little, Mel.
                    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Luke,

Not sure myself ! I did go up there last year for the event and this year! to do some looking around and such, I see the road built by some of the troop's that ran up to the top near the new lookout point, very neat to see this road, to get to the older one you have to make a trip into the wood's,I also took some good pic's of
                      the trench line's dug" all around the walking path, Luke i know you have seen it! (the built up rock's and about 6" foot deep trench's) that was something to see (: I have done so much study on the Gap" area during the war, the run of trench's the road the artillury lines and what not! very cool.

Comment

Yes i have seen it! It's amazing how well it's been preserved through the addition of roads and park trails. Sometime when you're in the area I'll take you on a walk and show you the cannon stuck in a tree. The tree has grown up around it now. There are also several things around that almost nobody knows about (several carvings in rocks off the park paths).
                        In the image...you cannot see the pinnacle rock but you can see the trails....the trials are still visible today including some of the remnance of the bridges they used to get the cannons up. If anyone is interested I will take a modern image this evening and post it.

Still cannot wrap my mind around why some of the tents are so far up the ridge.
                        Luke Gilly
                        Breckinridge Greys
                        Lodge 661 F&AM

Comment

The tent thing gets me to ever time i see it Luke, Yes i'll take you up on the walkinf tour up the trail Luke, Might wait till the next ( Battle of the Gap ) Reenactment to do that! I have made many trips up the Gap Mnt. to look at the trench lines and the looking area, I did read about the 4" look out - area's on the far side in the Kentucky area? It is true people that come there ever year to see the Gap, only think of D. Boone and his men, but never about the ( War between the States) and all the trees cut down! (: But yes we will make a trip up there very soon Luke to see the area.

Comment

Luke, I miss identified a photo link number earlier, here is the right info.http://history.ky.gov/sub.php?pageid=94&sectionid=14 (click KHS digital collections, then in search box at top right type "Cumberland Gap", photographs are on page 2, image # 36) Again, great image and thanks for posting.
                            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Cool picture Luke. Thanks for posting. I'll see you this weekend.
                              Cpl. Ryan Halsey
                              Wampus Cats Mess
                              Mossy Creek Mess-SCAR
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Liberty Rifles

Comment

Working...
                              X