Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company C, 41st New York Infantry

Hi,

The title of the Picture is "Company C, 41st New York at Manassas, Virgnia July, 1862". There are lots of interestings things about this photo, such as the following:

1. Several of the men appear to be wearing 2 pistol or some other sort of small cartridge boxes.

2. The soldier siting down directly behind the the captain, that is standing up, is holding a little dog.

3. The soldier next to the gentleman holding the dog, has removed the bill from his kepi.

4. The mixture of jackets; while most of the men are wearing New York shell jackets, there are some men wearing frock coats and sack coats.

5. Both the first sergeant, in the front, and the Bugler, in the back row on the wall, are wearing swords.

6. All of the men are wearing dark blue trousers, with exception to the officer holding the bottle in the front row.

I wonder if the photographer miss labeled the picture. Becasue what it looks like to me is that there is a mixture of infantry and cavalry in the photo. But this is just my 2 cents.

Here is a link to the photo, I have also attached it to this thread http://www.civil-war.net/cw_images/files/images/261.jpg .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew Kasmar; 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM. Reason: More information
    Andrew Kasmar

Re: Company C, 41st New York Infantry

Sir, nice photograph indeed, one of those you can take time and enjoy the details. I would want to add with a question, is the soldier sitting on the barrel at right wearing gaiters? Nevertheless its a nice image and thanks for bringing it out.
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Must have been a cold day in July. Note the man in the overcoat in the right background. Was it common for soldiers to wear overcoats in the summer? A sign of recent rain? Some sort of fashion statement? Or is the image mislabeled? I've noticed this at least once before in a July '63 Gardner/O'Sullivan image of the Slaughter Pen at Gettysburg.
      Brendan Hamilton
      Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Hi,

That is very interesting.

Brendan Hamilton
        Must have been a cold day in July. Note the man in the overcoat in the right background. Was it common for soldiers to wear overcoats in the summer? A sign of recent rain? Some sort of fashion statement? Or is the image mislabeled? I've noticed this at least once before in a July '63 Gardner/O'Sullivan image of the Slaughter Pen at Gettysburg.
        Yes, he is wearing a pair of gaiters.

Mel Hadden
        Sir, nice photograph indeed, one of those you can take time and enjoy the details. I would want to add with a question, is the soldier sitting on the barrel at right wearing gaiters? Nevertheless its a nice image and thanks for bringing it out.

I have been looking through lots of Civil War images, and I am still unable to figure out why are these men wearing two cartridge boxes. Another thing I have noticed, is the fact that all the men wearing the double boxes, have them mounted on two peice buckles. While everyone else is wearing either "US" or maybe New York State buckles. Any thoughts?
        Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I believe the guy setting toward the right smoking the pipe (the NCO with his hands on his knees) may have on a flap holster....I see the saber dangling in the background on his left....possibly he's wearing a spare cylinder box and a flap holser?
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

This image has been analyzed in the past (another lost-in-a-crash thread, I presume), and is one of those prime examples of how useful it is to incorporate other forms of research into photo-analysis.

In short, the 41st was one of the NYC old-blood German regiments. As such, the twin cartridge boxes and belt plates are believed to be a weirdo Prussian import rig.

I had ID'ed a couple of the officers and NCO's in this photo when we portrayed Von Gilsa's Brigade a couple Remembrance Days ago, but those notes are...somewhere. Off the bat, the 2nd Lt. is most likely Alfred Theinhardt.

The officers of this regiment, as evidenced by their early-war portraits, were very much into their German military heritage, and I am convinced that the men are wearing a skull-and-crossbones insignia on their caps, which would be associated with the Black Brunswickers.
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

FWIW,

If you have a copy of the CRRC (2nd ed.), peruse my article "Deutsche Achtung!" You'll quickly note that I included an extract of the above image.

This may also be of interest:

The officers visible in this image are probably these individuals:

Company C—Captain, Theodore Bracklow; first lieutenant, Ernest Hirschfeld; second lieutenant, Arthur Trainer.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

The cartridge boxes could be leaned to the M1850 prussian box as this unit wore Prussian pattern uniforms and equipment at that point of time. What is also very intereesting is that you see a drummerand a bugle on company level. I couldn't make aouta fifer though.
                Jan H.Berger
                Hornist

German Mess
                http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the information on the cartridge boxes.
                  Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Herr Berger, et al.,

Are there any photographs or details of surviving examples of the Prussian cartridge box?
                    Marc A. Hermann
                    Liberty Rifles.
                    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

There is a little info in the book "Patronentaschen, Patronengürtelund Bandoliere 1850-1950 by Alfred K. Kruk"
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Actually, when looking at the high resolution tiff version, it can be seen that many of the men are wearing panel-style waist belt plates of the type as shown below. Photo is a repro from Parsley Buckles website.
                        Bob Williams
                        26th North Carolina Troops
                        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

That is highly interesting!!!!!! As my PC skills are limited, can you post that highly resoluted picture please!!!???
                          Jan H.Berger
                          Hornist

German Mess

www.lederarsenal.com

Comment

Here's a couple of close ups. You can download the original tiff version directly from the LOC site.
                            Bob Williams
                            26th North Carolina Troops
                            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Peruse, reflect, and enjoy (see attachment.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                              Attached Files
                              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                              X