Possible Texas Contract Blouse Image c.Summer 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Texas Contract Blouse Image c.Summer 1862

For those interested in Trans-Miss depot issues, there is an interesting image published in the 2007 Confederate Calendar (the image in question being from the collection of Lawrence T. Jones III). It strikes me that it could be an example of what I have termed the 'Texas Contract Blouse', viz:

Aside from regimentally contracted commutation jackets, the first Texas general issue coat appears to have been a ‘blowse’ or sackcoat. It was said in quartermaster clothing issue reports to have been made of ‘white woolens’ and to have included matching trousers (Adolphus 1996: 172). Such ‘white woolens’ would have been supplied by the Huntsville Penitentiary, where white woolen and cotton jeans, as well as white kerseys were abundantly manufactured. These outfits may even have comprised the ‘white grave clothes’ issued to the 2nd Texas infantry on the eve of Shiloh. Chance (1984:24) describes the arrival of these “bundles of white wool uniforms” -- though he implies that they were requisitioned from New Orleans. This type of short-lived fatigue blouse, contracted for with out-workers by Capt. Wharton of the nascent Houston Depot, probably ceased manufacture by the end of 1862. This ‘type’ might best be termed the ‘Texas Contract Blouse’.
    (from unpublished article by KC MacDonald, available on the web at http://www.nsalliance.org/uniforms/texaslouisianajackets.pdf)

The pictured blouse may not be 'white woolens', but it could well be Huntsville 'Sheep Gray' wool jean cloth, which was also manufactured at the Penitentiary.

The image in question is of Private David E. Stanton, Co D, 16th Texas Infantry, Walker's Division, and would have been made shortly after his enlistment in May, 1862.

Opinions?

KC MacDonald
    Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
    Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
    Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweatshop Tailor; 10-04-2008, 11:57 AM.
    KC MacDonald

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Re: Possible Texas Contract Blouse Image c.Summer 1862

I attach another image, this one from my own collection. It may be of a similar blouse and is from a Brownsville, Texas estate.
    Attached Files
    KC MacDonald

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

Hi,

That is extremely interesting Mr. MacDonald. I am always interested in the Trans-Mississippi Theater of war uniforms. Thanks for posting the pictures.
      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

In the second image is there any identification of the subject?

The reason I ask is that the coat looks deceptively similar to unlined summer coats popular among civilians. Without any further information on the subject of the photo, my first inclination is to believe that this is a civilian coat being worn by a civilian or possibly a member of the military.
        Brian Koenig
        SGLHA
        Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Dear Brian,
          Other than the claim by the descendents family in Brownsville that the subject was a Texas Confederate soldier, and that he was (as you can see) an amputee there is no further provenance. It may well be that he wears an unlined civilian summer sack coat. However, the (ex) soldiers relative youth & the image being an ambrotype (giving temporal proximity to the conflict), the blouse cut of the garment, the slub-ridden nature of the cloth which approximates what one would expect from a Huntsville penitentiary jean, and the rather common post-service use of garments in the South, make a comparison to the 'Texas Contract Blouse' interesting. It goes without saying that the Stanton image is a far better candidate for actually being the true item (given its 1862 date, place and certain provenance).

All the Best,
          KC
          KC MacDonald

Comment

Working...
          X