Great group image of Federal infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great group image of Federal infantry

This image is up for auction next month on Heritage Auction's website. Check it out. ~Gary

Last edited by garyjd; 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM.
    Gary Dombrowski
    [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Re: Great group image of Federal infantry

There is even a fellow in the back taking a drink from his canteen! Very interesting picture
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Independent Rifles
    Swamp Angels
    Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

I count 2 men drinking from canteens and a guy in the front row holding a huge piece of hardtack.
      Great image
      Russell L. Stanley
      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
      Co.A 45th Mississippi
      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Sir, I'm trying to get a handle on the shoulder arms these men carry as they look to perhaps have two bands. Zooming in for closer detail the NCO sitting at right looks to have a stripe on his trousers and a couple of men have there trousers tucked into there socks. Wonder whats up with the gents sleeve reclining at left? Nevertheless, real nice image here.

(Went to the auction site and there is a thumbnail description of this photo with type of arms, M1841 Mississippi rifles)
        Last edited by yeoman; 10-13-2008, 06:22 PM.
        Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
        Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
        Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
        www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Also notice the socket bayonet for the M1841 MS rifle. It can plainly be seen in the scabboard of the gent seated in the front.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
            Also notice the socket bayonet for the M1841 MS rifle. It can plainly be seen in the scabboard of the gent seated in the front.
            Yeah! What a great picture! The HA site is a really great resource for viewing pics and material culture.

How great would it be to put together a company like that and get kicked out of an event! :wink_smil
            (just a kiddin'!)
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

This is an all-time GREAT contemporary photograph of unalloyed straight-out-of-the field Doughboys. I can't recall such a gritty grouping; it's as if they marched into the studio in mid-campaign, which must be the case. Such details. Only a studio photo could do justice. Must be summer as there are no blankets in the gum sheets worn over their shoulders. Looks late war, but if those are M.1841s.... The present owner should reproduce this as a large, high definition offering to the fraternity. I'd surely purchase one. It's stunning...as close to Being There as I expect to ever get. I'd like to have a double framing: this photo and the Johnnies marching through Frederick, Maryland.
              David Fox

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
                Sir, I'm trying to get a handle on the shoulder arms these men carry as they look to perhaps have two bands. Zooming in for closer detail the NCO sitting at right looks to have a stripe on his trousers and a couple of men have there trousers tucked into there socks
                The 1st Sgt. with the tucked in socks looks to be wearing leggings to me. Could be socks though, but seems pretty tight to be just socks.

Great image, thanks for posting!
                Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by David Fox View Post
                  The present owner should reproduce this as a large, high definition offering to the fraternity. I'd surely purchase one. It's stunning...as close to Being There as I expect to ever get. I'd like to have a double framing: this photo and the Johnnies marching through Frederick, Maryland.
                  The owner is no longer with us - the person who presently holds the auction items has little interest in the CW, unlike his brother.
                  Elizabeth Topping
                  Elizabeth Topping
                  Columbus, Ohio

Comment

The guy laying down on the left has his sleeve half gone and the sergeant looks like his pants have been repaired.

Great image and a good source of how we need to look.

Steve Acker

Comment

The beardless guy standing dead center, of whom you can only see one foot, definitely appears to have his trousers bloused in his socks.
                      Tom Mandrackie
                      Private, 6th OVI
                      4th Bttn. N.J. Vols.
                      Brigade of the American Revolution

Comment

The 1st Sgt. on the right does have bloused trousers; if they were leggings we'd see the strap under his shoe. I think the reclining man on the far left has his blouse sleeves rolled up and is exposing a good part of his issue shirt sleeve.

I also haven't noticed a knapsack on any of these guys, or a wool blanket. Looks like everyone made the no-brainer summertime choice and kept their gum blanket!
                        Brian White
                        [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                        [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                        [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Accoutrement expert Bob Anderson opines the M.1841 rifles sport the A.J. Drake alteration, executed for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and subsequently issued to the 46th and 51st Mass. Volunteer Infantry regiments.
                          David Fox

Comment

Sir, using "Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia" by Francis A. Lord as my reference, here is a bit of information on this two banded rifle.The bayonet was saber & angular. If I may quote,"U.S. Rifle, Model 1841. Caliber .54. Total length 48.75 inches. Weight 9.75 pounds. The furniture of this weapon is brass, polished bright. Many of these 1841 rifles were re-rifled to correspond with the .58 caliber of the 1855 rifle musket, and were equipped with longer range sights and provided with a long saber bayonet. The Model 1842 Rifle was also called the "Yager," (from JAEGER--German for huntsman); "Mississippi" (from use of the weapon by Davis' Mississippi regiment in the Mexican War); and "Windsor," from Windsor, Vermont, where some of these rifles were made under contract".
                            Also if I may continue, "The 7th Maine Infantry was armed with Windsor rifles, with plenty of brass trimmings to keep clean, and sabre bayonets. Very proud we were of them, and when we come to use them we found they shot pretty straight. Cumbersome as the sabre bayonets were, they were good to dig shelter with, and several times I have seen their long leveled lines carry consternation to the gray-clothed foe."
                            Once again nice image and thanks.
                            Last edited by yeoman; 10-15-2008, 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                            Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                            Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Dear Sir ,
                              This a superb image however some of my comrades , being of a suspicious nature , question the authenticity of this photograph ; I never doublted at all until they mentioned it . But now I wonder : What unit is this ? Militia ?
                              Why no U.S." belt buckles or chest plates . Is that a corps bage atop their forage caps ? The officer appears to be well over six feet tall. Some of the men could be hunched over to appear smaller . Most of then appear to be thirty years of age or so . The tin cups seem to be prominently displayed , etc. The sergeant sitting to the right seems to have a modern face in spite of his hair style The image is shot indoors but what type of light sorce would be used ? Why would they be indoors ?
                              Conversely , if this is fake , when could any assemble this many thin reenactors !
                              ( A Broadway chorus line ? ) . If indeed they are reenactors , it seems strange that no one has recognized or identified them yet. Just curious , but it
                              s a fine image real or staged.
                              all for the old flag,
                              David Corbett
                              Dave Corbett

Comment

Working...
                              X