Great group image of Federal infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great group image of Federal infantry

Well; the officer is in the foreground so that is why he appears so tall. If you notice the guy sitting in the middle has a snake buckle so it is my guess that they would all have them and they would be hard to see because of all of the gear and different poses they are in. Also indoor images are very common (I think most (70%?) images are studio shot) and typically the studio would use natural light in the form of a skylight. I don't think they all look that old but that is just my opinion and I am old so everyone looks young to me. They all have the same rifle which in this case (1841) would be very rare to see today. It's real and if this is from the Kurtz collection, one of the most incredible and premier collections of our day.

Thanks,
    Rob Weber

Comment

wow thats a killer image! I love how they're all just actin casual and a couple are drinkin out of their canteens! KILELR thanks for postin pard
      Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
      The Tater Mess

Comment

The snake buckles seen in the photo also render Mr. Fox's postulation that these are Massachusetts men quite probable, most likely the 51st MVM(former 3rd Bttn. MVM). They were a designated "rifle" organization and carried the arms Mr. Fox described in his earlier post.It is known that the 44th MVM (former 4th Bttn. MVM) definitely had Enlish accouterments. Both units were 9-monthers and did duty along the NC coast. Great photo.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Believe the Mass. men's English accoutrements came off a captured blockade runner....
          David Fox

Comment

Here's a link to a tintype of Otis Tuttle, a private in the 44th Mass. He is wearing a snake buckle, 4-button sack, and (I think) a McDowell-style forage cap. Not sure on the weapon ID though.

http://members.aol.com/dcurtin1/otistint.jpg
            Brendan Hamilton
            Jerusalem Plank Road

Comment

Working...
            X