Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington, District of Columbia. Maimed soldiers and others before office of U.S. Christian Commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington, District of Columbia. Maimed soldiers and others before office of U.S. Christian Commission

Here's is an interesting photo I have never seen before.

Entitiled: Maimed Soldiers, Washington, District of Columbia. Maimed soldiers and others before office of U.S. Christian Commission

From www.oldpicture.com

*********Excellent for civilian clothes among other things.

Ken R Knopp
    Attached Files

Re: Washington, District of Columbia. Maimed soldiers and others before office of U.S. Christian Commission

It is such a neat image. I've always found the little boys in military inspired attire the most interesting.
    Pat Brown

Comment

Re: Washington, District of Columbia. Maimed soldiers and others before office of U.S. Christian Commission

I supose you are refering to the one in the kepi, wonder who he hero-worships? To me the others look to be in "typical" boys' clothing of the era, wearing round hats and one in a "mechanic's" cap. I like the variety of "coat" styles we see, both for the men and boys. ...And there's a woman in the background in "working" attire..fabulous, fabulous image...thanks for sharing it with us.:)
      -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Here's the link to the high res version of this wondeful image in the LOC:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...,tgmi,lamb,hec
        T. N. Harrington
        Traveling Photographic Artist
        Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
        Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Interestingly the two linked photos in this thread are different. It looks to me like they were probably taken jast a few minutes apart.

I find interesting the "bedroll" in the foreground that is bound together by what appears to be much like a knapsack rigging.
          Attached Files
          [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Comment

This can be found at Marc Hermann's Myrtle Avenue Clothiers site:

It's a fun and beautifully laid out examination of many of the details in both of these photographs, in 'clickable' high resolution zooms of various areas.
            [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
            [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
            Independent Volunteers
            [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Did not note the bedroll at 1st, not unlike the one I am working on ar the present. Thanks for pointing it out.
              Jim "Doc" Bruce
              War means fightn and fightn means killn.
              L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
              Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Here's the high res version of the companion plate at the LOC:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...,tgmi,lamb,hec
                T. N. Harrington
                Traveling Photographic Artist
                Daguerreotypes and Wet-plate Collodion Photographs
                Winchester, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                X