Early Illinois Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Illinois Uniform

The attached photo provides an interesting view of Illinois troops in the field, ca. Fall 1862. This view is of the 13th Illinois and shows a predominance of sack coats, but also an "Illinois" shell jacket and a grey state issue frock coat with shoulder straps (man on the right). The shell jacket appears to have two external pockets. The frock coat was known to have been issued to the13th as part of its initial issue but one would not expect it to have survived so long. The "yipes, stripes" shirt on one fellow is also worthy of note. Some of these guys definitely present a "sad sack" appearance, but one can bet they were tough as shoe leather.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Early Illinois Uniform

Great photo! thanks for posting for our viewing pleasure.:)
    Jesse Parsons
    -37th Virginia Infantry-
    -Wampus Cats Mess-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cool pic.

I remember this debate years ago.

He seems to be leaning on a stick or cane.

Nice mix of clothing

Brendan

Comment

Note also that even though they seem to be facing the sun, they have their hats pushed back on their heads so the brim will not cover their faces and obscure their likenesses when viewed by the folks back home.
        Steve Sullivan

Comment

I've seen it before but where'd you find this copy? Online?

There are also images (studio) of 13th Ill. soldiers wearing what looks like the 'New York-militia style' (my phrasing) short jacket. Trimmed with epaulettes.

Neat,
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Is this one of the images you mentioned John? As can be seen, the uniform is very similar to the NY State issue jackets. Wasn't there a thread going on this topic a few years ago?

Unidentifed member of Company D, 13th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, circa February 1862.
            Courtesy of the Rock Island Arsenal Museum
            Scott Cross
            "Old and in the Way"

Comment

straight from the source

Thanks Scott, that is one of the very images.

Good eye!

:)
              John Pillers
              Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

great shot of those Illinois troops! they look like some hardened western vets! i love it!
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4][B]David Wellerding[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]
                [B][FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=4]Mess No. 1 [/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[URL="http://www.mess1.homestead.com"]www.mess1.homestead.com[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.6thohio.homestead.com"]www.6thohio.homestead.com[/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[B][FONT=Arial]"Grant stood by me when I was crazy and I stood by him when he was drunk. Now we stand by each other."[/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Arial]-William Tecumseh Sherman[/FONT][/B]

Comment

Working...
                X