Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musket oddity?

Hallo!

In this image of a 3rd Corps lad circa 1863, look at the thing (plate, paper label, etc?) between the lock screws of his M1855 or M1861 RM...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Re: Musket oddity?

Mayhaps he is a fresh-fish, and the musket is a loaner, along with the headpiece?
    S.Sullivan

Comment

Kurt,

I think this is a Belgian Musket. Look at the Hammer Spur, bumps on the Trigger guard and Rear Sight.

Your Thoughts?

Michael Collins
      Last edited by Illinois Rebel; 03-27-2009, 08:18 PM.
      Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
      Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
      - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

Could be some sort of serial numbering or another identification mark?

Just a guess... Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hallo!

Kurt, I think this is a Belgian Musket. Look at the Hammer Spur, bumps on the Trigger guard and Rear Sight

I had given first thought that it was German, Austria, French, or Belgian.

But NUG, they use either a sideplate that connects the two lock screws, or some have a single lock screw that has a small oval or triangular escutcheon.

Which led/leads me to consider the possibility that it was a flat banded M1861. However no light is passing under the hammer nose, leading me to think it may be an M1855 even in an 1863 image.
          So, I was thinking that we are seeing reflecting/refracting light "play" off of surfaces and/or possibly caused by movement on the pard of the solider that is distorting the appearance of things.

(I want to dismiss a foreign gun as an "oddity" in this grouping due to the date, what the other lads have, and the typical problem with mixed calbre ammunition issues...)

Just my thinking, so far...

Here is the full image:

Curt

(Thanks to Herr Mark S. for finding and posting the image on another board.)
          Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM.
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I am no expert, but could it be some type of presentation plate? Were enlisted men allowed to use, or purchase privately, their longarms as long as it passed muster? Just a guess...
            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

According to the original photo caption, these men belong to the 110th Pennsylvania and this view (among others) was taken around Stoneman's Switch in the spring of 1863. The list of armaments carried by this unit at Fredericksburg show them with a combination of .58 Springfields and Enfields. See this previous thread: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...sburg+armament

I'm with Kurt that it's likely a M1861 Springfield. The brass (?) plate is probably soldier ornamentation.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Another well known view of the 110th attached.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Hallo!

Thanks Herr Bob!

That one is easier. The first lad in line (ostensibly a "corpral without strips"*) does have a late model M1855 RM in the mix.

:)

Curt

* An old "inside joke" from Burkettsville...)
                  Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-29-2009, 11:38 AM.
                  Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                    According to the original photo caption, these men belong to the 110th Pennsylvania and this view (among others) was taken around Stoneman's Switch in the spring of 1863. The list of armaments carried by this unit at Fredericksburg show them with a combination of .58 Springfields and Enfields. See this previous thread: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...sburg+armament

I'm with Kurt that it's likely a M1861 Springfield. The brass (?) plate is probably soldier ornamentation.
                    WOW!! Thats a very nice photo of a company of the 110th Regt P.V. I was wondering if you know who has the org. photo if its in a place were I can get a copy of it.

Thanks!!

Todd A Brickley
                    H Company 110th Regt. P.V.
                    Fürth, Germany
                    Todd A Brickley
                    Company H, 110th Regt. P.V.

Comment

Working...
                    X