Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning from Photos

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
    His jacket is the so called Wytheville Depot pattern, often seen on photos of soldiers whose units originated in the western part of VA. Here's a photo of the real item.
    Thanks for the new information on the jacket. I found the regimental history book on the 63rd VA while at the Farnsworth bookstore this weekend, but didn't pick it up.

I did look up Riley in it. And found they had him listed as having deserted 2 times. And also owing the CS Gov't 15.08$ for transportation.

A kin of his Solomon owed the gov't the same 15.08$ for transportation and 39$ for lost ordnance.
    Greg Bullock
    [URL="http://www.pridgeonslegion.com/group/9thvacoe"]Bell's Rifles Mess[/URL]
    Member, [URL="http://www.civilwar.org/"]Civil War Preservation Trust[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/index.php"]Shenandoah Valley Battlefield Foundation[/URL]

Comment

Sir, as I was reading some letters to home,http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/battle/lee.html#lelee37 page 86, this passage gave me an after thought, if I may quote, "P.S. Write often and tell me all the news about home. Wrap my watch up very securely and direct it to me. Don't forget a key for it, as I have none". My after thought is the second chain is perhaps the key chain. Another two cents, thanks.
      Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
      Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
      Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
      www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Originally posted by 10TnVI View Post
        I considered a shadow but discarded it for the following reasons-first -the "U" of the lower chain is narrower than the upper, second the upper chain dosen't sit far enough out from the jacket to cast a shadow that far down the front. It's shadow would be very close to almost under it. Third, a light souce strong enough to cast a shadow would have had to be almost directly above and would then cast a similiar shadow on the eyes, nose, etc. Thus, I feel it's safe to say he is wearing two chains.
        See slightly enhanced of that keychain area attached here. After all, isn't it a shadow of the chain above it? The "U" appears narrower only because of a wider, top-down light source (an upper or roof window typical of a studio at the time) producing a narrower and lengthened shadow of objects in it's path. Easy to recreate if you wanted to recreate the effect - go to an atrium.

The light source may have been strong but was general. This was not a flash-pan photo but a natural light extended exposure, in real life not as defined as the contrasty print makes it seem. It's a slight expression of what's called "posterization" today.

Also, if that shadow were a "second chain", it has no logical destination to a button hole if you follow the curve of it. In fact doesn't it merely merge into the large fold shadow caused by the stress of the fabric between two buttons?

How cool you have this photo to treasure.

Dan Wykes
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Danny; 07-08-2008, 12:19 PM.
        Danny Wykes

Comment

Could it be the tools for a flintlock rather than a watch chain. As I recall there was a flash-hole pick and a brush at the end of the chains.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
          Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
          [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
          Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
          Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
          The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hi,

That is an interesting thought Mr. Phillips.
            Andrew Kasmar

Comment

...It''s interesting that he apparently has two seperate "watch chains" leading into the slash pocket on his right breast. What else is he carring there besides a watch?
              Originally posted by yeoman View Post
              ...My first thought was possibly its his cone picker on a chain...
              Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
              ...Could it be the tools for a flintlock rather than a watch chain. As I recall there was a flash-hole pick and a brush at the end of the chains.
              Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
              ... Long watch chains or double chian for the watch and a pendant fob are a minor fashion of the Period and appear in a number of civilian photos (this is the first time I have seen the fashion on a soldier's jacket...Curt
              Wow, boys I'm still lookin' for that second chain... ;)

Dan Wykes
              Last edited by Danny; 07-12-2008, 12:43 AM. Reason: Mel is right - "hooch" comment seemed more jab than joke
              Danny Wykes

Comment

In what collection is that Wytheville Depot Jacket dispalyed?
                James Cassell

Mossy Creek Mess SCAR
                1st East Tenn Battery B

Comment

Sir, I do not think this response will add to this thread but here goes. You are probably correct about this "shadow" and it is more than likely a watch on the "chain". I posted #11 on this thread some four years after post #10 and that was my two cents. I also posted #17, perhaps I should have stated my after thought was, where would he keep his watch key. Also my two cents. Your first post was considered but whats the point of your gibe in the second? Your quote "Wow, I'm still lookin' for that chain. Got any more of that hooch?..." My after thought to bringing up this old thread is Greg got some info on the make of the jacket, my two cents.
                  Last edited by yeoman; 07-11-2008, 11:08 PM. Reason: after thought
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Hallo!

Long watch chains or double chian for the watch and a pendant fob are a minor fashion of the Period and appear in a number of civilian photos (this is the first time I have seen the fashion on a soldier's jacket).

Typically, the watch was kept in one vest pocket, the chain passing through a button hole, the fob on the other end of the chain or pendant chain kept in the other pocket, and the chain allowed to "droop" on either side.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by yeoman View Post
                      ...You are probably correct about this "shadow" and it is more than likely a watch on the "chain"... My after thought to bringing up this old thread is Greg got some info on the make of the jacket, my two cents.
                      Mel, Curt - small point but since the very title of the thread is "Learning From Photos" please allow me to press the point. Let's ignore any professional experience I might have in this area, and I do have that. The best analysis would come from a modern-day tin plate, natural light photographer - know any that can comment here?

I still recommend the whole idea of a second chain in this particular photo defies simple vision and verifiable analysis. For the draftsmen here, print it out really big and extend the arc of the lower "chain" on it's logical path. It attaches nowhere. Further logic and understanding of light and material tells you that if it were a second chain it would at least somewhere along it's length catch some light were it metal as expected it would be. Another factor is to see that if it were a second chain, it leaves the vest pocket slit at EXACTLY the same point as the first chain, not laying adjacent or some fractions of an inch away as would be expected. Again, we all have vests, this is verifiable. Also verifiable is to recreate the type of upper lighting, an atrium will do, and see how the loop of a chain is rendered in its shadow below - as a steeper arc.

After all said and done I agree the I.D. on the jacket is of the most value.

Dan Wykes
                      Last edited by Danny; 07-12-2008, 11:54 AM.
                      Danny Wykes

Comment

Hallo!

I am not making a point about the presence or absence of a double watch chain on the image. I was just pointing out the sometimes Period fashion and socio-economic statement of wearing a double chain with the watch on one and a "fob" type device in the form of a pendant, charm, small folding knife, or commonly the wind key on the other.

Just to further the discussion, would someone enlarge and play with the intensity of the lighting, contrast, and shadows of the chain are of the image.
                        I can do it on Photo Shop, but when I go to save the enlarged edited version, what is saved is just the original size image. Sigh.

Thanks!

Curt
                        Luddite Mess
                        Curt Schmidt
                        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                        -Vastly Ignorant
                        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

As far as the jacket provenance, the photo was first posted on this thread which gives its current location:
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thank you sir. What is the "AHC"?
                            Last edited by 6Pdr; 07-14-2008, 01:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
                            James Cassell

Mossy Creek Mess SCAR
                            1st East Tenn Battery B

Comment

Originally posted by 6Pdr View Post
                              Thank you sir. What is the "AHC"?
                              Atlanta History Center
                              ...don'cha love all the acronyms? :wink_smil
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                                Wow, boys I'm still lookin' for that second chain... ;)

Dan Wykes
                                See slightly enhanced of that keychain area attached here. After all, isn't it a shadow of the chain above it? The "U" appears narrower only because of a wider, top-down light source (an upper or roof window typical of a studio at the time) producing a narrower and lengthened shadow of objects in it's path. Easy to recreate if you wanted to recreate the effect - go to an atrium.

The light source may have been strong but was general. This was not a flash-pan photo but a natural light extended exposure, in real life not as defined as the contrasty print makes it seem. It's a slight expression of what's called "posterization" today.

Also, if that shadow were a "second chain", it has no logical destination to a button hole if you follow the curve of it. In fact doesn't it merely merge into the large fold shadow caused by the stress of the fabric between two buttons?...

Dan Wykes
                                Both chains start at the same location. The angle of the bottom U leads straight to the same button hole. I would surmize that both are held in place by the same bar in the button hole. the shorter U has the watch attached because it is all the way at the bottom of the pocket. Pulled there by the weight of the watch.

The longer looking U has either a fob or key for winding the watch because it doesn't go all the way to the bottom as it is nowhere near as heavy as the watch. It is just tucked in the pocket for safe keeping.

as far as ending, I can't tell because of the poor lighting/quality of the photo area by the vest pocket.

Originally posted by lhsnj View Post
                                Is it possible that the 2nd watch chain might be a shadow?
                                I considered a shadow but discarded it for the following reasons-first -the "U" of the lower chain is narrower than the upper, second the upper chain dosen't sit far enough out from the jacket to cast a shadow that far down the front. It's shadow would be very close to almost under it. Third, a light souce strong enough to cast a shadow would have had to be almost directly above and would then cast a similiar shadow on the eyes, nose, etc. Thus, I feel it's safe to say he is wearing two chains.
                                I agree with 10TnVI. Unless a shadow can cast a another shadow there is a 2nd chain or braid there. If you look at each of the U's formed by the 2 rope like objects hanging each one has its own shadow under it; look for the dark/black areas behind each U.

Further logic and understanding of light and material tells you that if it were a second chain it would at least somewhere along it's length catch some light were it metal as expected it would be...

Dan Wykes
                                Danny,
                                watch chains were also made by twisting like rope or braiding a strand of loved ones hair or made with horse hair in the same fashion. So it may not be made of metal which would not reflect light at some point.

Also after looking at some other photos of Cone pricks and brush sets, the chain doesn't look anything like the sets issued by the gov't, so gov't issued cone prick and brush for flintlock musket set can be discarded as a possibilty.
                                Last edited by Prodical Reb; 07-14-2008, 10:19 AM.
                                [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                                Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                                [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                                Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                                Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                                The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X