Veteran Reserve Corps Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran Reserve Corps Photo

This is a photo from my collection. It is a CDV of John F. Martin taken in Washington, DC. To me, it looks like he is wearing a VRC uniform. Anyway, it is a sharp image.
    Attached Files
    Tristan Galloway

Re: Veteran Reserve Corps Photo

The uniform is indeed one of several variations of the Veteran Reserve Corps uniform. I have seen several with the solid collar and cuff trim as shown in your photos. His pants stripes would be clearly seen from a great distance indeed.
    There were over 1400 men on the NPService Soldier & Sailor listing, and only two with the name John F. Martin, but both never rose in the ranks above the lowly private grade. Nearly 25 are listed as being in the VRC under the name of John Martin with no middle initial. With the Washington backmark that could mean the soldier Martin pictured was stationed there with a specific VRC unit, or that he was just passing through on the way home and had his image made to mark the occassion of his visit to the national's capitol.
    Sharp image none the less.
    S.Sullivan
    who is now passing from VRC to GAR...

Comment

Tristan,

In case you have not seen them there are a few close-up images (croppings) of the 9th VRC Band here who are wearing very similar uniforms as that in your image. While looking at details of VRC images at the LOC I did notice that non-coms may have slightly better/different quality uniforms than the rank & file. Not saying yours is that specific unit (doesn't have to be), just pointing out the similar uniforms.

Here's the link to the 9th VRC band croppings - there's two, one was posted here before because of the large German pipe:

Musician of the 9th Veteran Reserve Corps, dressed in his branch's distinctive light blue uniform. Library of Congress.
      Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Interesting. The neckwear looks similar between the pictures as well...
        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Working...
        X