A Sikh in the Civil War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sikh in the Civil War?

Someone posted this intriguing photo on Flickr of a 1917 gathering of British "Civil War 'Veterans'" in London. Among them, with some sort of ribbon on his chest, is a Sikh man. I've never heard of men of Indian descent serving in the Civil War, which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen. Has anyone here heard of this? I just wish we knew more, as I'd imagine his story would be absolutely fascinating. What side did he serve? What branch? What was his motivation? Was he treated as "colored?"
    Brendan Hamilton
    Jerusalem Plank Road

Re: A Sikh in the Civil War?

I've forwarded this photo to someone who might have some insight...will advise.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

It's possible he was recriuted in a foreign port and served in the USN. Just a thought...
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Sorry to bump this thread, but was anything ever discovered of this?
        Brian Shajari
        Tolerance Lodge 1165 AF&AM, Texas
        Co. L, 1st Texas Volunteer Infantry Regiment Lone Star Rifles
        Hawaii American Civil War Roundtable Group

Proud descendent of: PVT William B. Wales, Louisiana Crescent Regiment
        and Pvt. James Groves, Jr., Co. K, 6th Louisiana Cavalry

Comment

Well,

Has anyone pointed out the obvious here, that it is a veterans gathering in London?! That should pretty much give the answer right there.....
          Joseph Caridi
          Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

Is it in London? The men in the background appear to be US soldiers or even Boy Scouts.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat View Post
              Is it in London? The men in the background appear to be US soldiers or even Boy Scouts.
              If this was shot in 1917, there were more than a few current US military stationed in Europe at the time...some no doubt serving in an official capacity in London rather than France. However if these are instead Boy Scouts, don't forget the Scouting movement was started in England by Baden-Powell in 1908.

Paul McKee
              Paul McKee

Comment

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
                If this was shot in 1917, there were more than a few current US military stationed in Europe at the time...some no doubt serving in an official capacity in London rather than France. However if these are instead Boy Scouts, don't forget the Scouting movement was started in England by Baden-Powell in 1908.

Paul McKee
                I guess I spaced it being 1917!
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat View Post
                  I guess I spaced it being 1917!
                  No problemo.

I can easily imagine this as a PR opportunity fraught with political implications at the time. "We came over to help you in 61-65...now you're over here to help us in the trenches" sort of thing.

Paul McKee
                  Paul McKee

Comment

Here below is an article in a PDF file written by Michael Hammerson. It speaks about the Higate Cemetery in London and the American Civil War Veterans who were buried there. It mentions the photo pictured above in the London Chapter of the American Civil War and here is the caption also.

The London Veterans in 1917, from the
                    Daily Sketch. The man immediately below
                    “FOR” appears to be a Sikh – a complete
                    mystery, as none are noted as serving in the
                    Civil War.
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Interesting photo. There were at least a few men born in India who served in the American Civil War. I found an interesting link with a list of Asians who served (including a Medal of Honor recipient born in India).

Regards
                      Jeff Turner
                      Regards

Jeff Turner

Comment

Working...
                      X