Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help NEEDED finding an image in LOC of Col. P.B. Brown, 157th NYI

Folks,

Everyone who knows me will agree that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed or the brightest crayon in the box. With that confession I am asking for assistance finding an image I THINK may be housed in the LOC.

I am looking for an image of Colonel Philip B. Brown, 157th NYI.

I first saw the specific image I am looking for while attending the last Immortal 600 event. The image shows Col. Brown wearing a double-breasted frock with large subdued eagles in the shoulder. I say large because they seem to have been about the size of a standard shoulder strap - just minus the border.

Or, if you know of this image and it isn't in the LOC I would appreciate a nod to its location.

If anyone can help me find this image I would be VERY appreciative!
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Re: Help NEEDED finding an image in LOC of Col. P.B. Brown, 157th NYI

Ahhhhhhh! Mr. Duffer you are correct! That is exactly the person I am looking for! But, unfortunately, not the image.
    PATRICK CRADDOCK
    Prometheus No. 851
    Franklin, Tennessee
    Widows' Sons Mess
    www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Bump. Can anyone help mw with a search in the LOC collection for the photo referenced above for Col. Brown? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
      PATRICK CRADDOCK
      Prometheus No. 851
      Franklin, Tennessee
      Widows' Sons Mess
      www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
        Bump. Can anyone help mw with a search in the LOC collection for the photo referenced above for Col. Brown? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
        Mr. Craddock, I am not sure if this is the photo you seek, I wanted to share it with you in any case.
        Civil War Brevet Brigadier General. Born in Smithfield, New York, he graduated from Madison University in 1855 and later become the principal of the Academy of New York University. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he joined the Union Army and was appointed Colonel in command of the 157th New York Volunteer Infantry....
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Hi Pat,

I think I know the image your talking about, it is a Brady-esque studio shot, right? I just can't remember where it is either.

In the meantime you can look at this New York Colonel;

Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
          – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Pete,
            Thanks, but the image I'm looking for is a full torso - waist and above.

Ryan,
            Ummmmmm. Ok. Thanks! :-)
            PATRICK CRADDOCK
            Prometheus No. 851
            Franklin, Tennessee
            Widows' Sons Mess
            www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrod Carter View Post
              Pete,
              Thanks, but the image I'm looking for is a full torso - waist and above.

Ryan,
              Ummmmmm. Ok. Thanks! :-)
              Ok I think I have him. He was not a Colonel when this was taken obviously. HMMM?

If you look at the two photos below. You can see similarities between the two Brown's in the ears, jaw line, hair part and bridge of nose. The lighting is different but I think this is your Man.

Last edited by PetePaolillo; 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM. Reason: added photos
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
              X