Landing on James River, 1864-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing on James River, 1864-5

Sir and ma'am, this image titled, Landing on James River, 1864-5, if you will notice the group of men on the pontoon bridge and especially the men grouped in the foreground..., any thoughts these men are Confederate prisoners?

Close up view.

Last edited by yeoman; 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM. Reason: Delete link and add image
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Landing on James River, 1864-5

The fellas at the bottom of the image sure look confederate to me. Interesting how the different shades of uniform are in line( unit issues impacting colors of cloth) with like colors/shades. Also, lots of darker cloth represented feels like English cloth from this distance.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Acker

Comment

This is a very interesting study of the ugliness of an army operational area. A couple of things that caught my eye:

1. The horse by the shebang with a clear view of the saddle...is that a Grimsley?
      2. The dark mass in the water to the left of the rotted pilings...dead horse floating off the beach?
      3. To rob this post of any intellectual quality...is the man on the beach to the left of the horse doing what I think he's doing?
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

A couple of things that I noticed:

1) A majority of the lads in line are wearing slouch hats and are in their shirt sleeves where a majority of the lads just hanging out are in in forage camps and have frocks, sacks and even a couple of greatcoats on.
        2) It appears that the lads in line on the pontoons getting ready to board the boats are similarly dressed to those in line on shore.

If you run with Steve's theory that they might be CS could you postulate that they are POW's being processed and sent up or down river to a camp?

3) Counting from the shore there are lads doing their laundry on pontoons 2,3, & 4. I am not sure how clean you can get a shirt washing that close to a dead horse. Luckily it appears that the pontoons are at least up stream from it.

Kace
        Last edited by Kace; 01-17-2011, 05:01 PM.
        Kevin 'Kace' Christensen
        7th & 30th Missouri Volunteers

Comment

If they are prisoners, where are the guards?

Comment

Given the elevated view, if those in foreground are prisoners - which I believe they are -, perhaps the guards are in line with/behind the photographer.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
            Bob McDonald

Comment

Ok, I agree with everything that has been commented on here. I agree - those are CS prisoners in foreground and on pontoons.

Beyond what everyone else is seeing, here is what caught my eye...

The large pile of "planks" on the left of the photo, just below the dude sitting on the large crates - I believe that is a stack of rifles! I do not believe that to simply be a stack of lumber. Those individual pieces have a reflective quality. Wood doesn't cast an "illuminated" reflection. I believe what we are seeing is the sun reflecting from hundreds of rifle barrels.

Thoughts?
              PATRICK CRADDOCK
              Prometheus No. 851
              Franklin, Tennessee
              Widows' Sons Mess
              www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

This photo was not taken on the James River but rather at Port Royal Landing on the Rappahannock: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003000489/PP/
                It is one of a series of 5 taken by Brady on May 30, 1864 as the base was being evacuated. The stack of "things" is in fact tools (picks, shovels & such) and the men are likely Federal engineer detachments lined up to "get out of Dodge." There is none of the baggage associated with POWs. It is a wonderful photo nonetheless. Check out some of the companion photos on the LOC site. Also check Frassanito's "Grant and Lee" for additional documentation.
                Last edited by roundshot; 01-18-2011, 12:51 PM.
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Sir, these are indeed a couple more images of this spot on the river. Looking through the LOC series I am yet to find the image in the first post of this thread.
                  The image I posted is linked to the "National Archives here" and is titled,"Landing on James River, 1864-5".
                  The digital copies search # is 524621/111B-B202 with the above link.
                  My 2cents...,the description from the National Archive and the one from the LOC are kinda like one hand not knowing what the other is doing.
                  Any thoughts on these or other image titles correctness...?
                  Bob, thanks for your thoughts and LOC links.

Bob Welch, the man on the shore indeed looks to be "passing along".

Last edited by yeoman; 01-18-2011, 09:13 PM. Reason: add third image to post
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

In the second set of images posted it's much more evident that the pile consists of tools, as several pick axe heads are plainly visible.
                    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Hey,
                      I cant seem to find this particular image, can you post a link to download please..I've found several that show the river and bridge but none that show the prisoners..
                      Last edited by wilber6150; 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM.
                      thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                        This photo was not taken on the James River but rather at Port Royal Landing on the Rappahannock: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collecti...2003000489/PP/
                        It is one of a series of 5 taken by Brady on May 30, 1864 as the base was being evacuated. The stack of "things" is in fact tools (picks, shovels & such) and the men are likely Federal engineer detachments lined up to "get out of Dodge." There is none of the baggage associated with POWs. It is a wonderful photo nonetheless. Check out some of the companion photos on the LOC site. Also check Frassanito's "Grant and Lee" for additional documentation.
                        Do you have a link to the one that actually shows the prisoners like the original post in this thread? Ive found the others but not that one..
                        thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

You'll have to ask Yeoman this since he was the one kind enough to share in the first place.
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Sir, the photograph in the first post was found at http://www.footnote.com/. (Image # B-202)
                            (The site links has a free membership account which entitles free images only.)
                            Footnote may use the US National Archives photostream on flickr and this is the link I used to post the first image, http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnatio...es/3996123240/.
                            Hope this may serve your given purpose.
                            Last edited by yeoman; 01-19-2011, 02:31 PM. Reason: ck url

CWPT
                            www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

Comment

I'm having some trouble seeing the group as prisoners. My immediate thought was that they were Federal soldiers with and without jackets queuing up for something, perhaps to draw from the pile of tools and go on fatigue somewhere nearby.
                              Brian White
                              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                              X