Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culps hill photo mystery

Hi,
    we are discussing this picture on another forum and need some assistance.. This picture is supposedly said to be taken of Gettysburg from Culps hill.. But, whats the alamo looking fort with the flag at half mast doing there? Has anyone have a guess on where this picture really was taken.. The surrounding area does look like Penn, so I was thinking pehaps Carlisle.. Any ideas would be appreaciated...
    Attached Files
    thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Re: Culps hill photo mystery

Sir,

If I may, I would imagine that it is plausible this photograph was taken from Culp's Hill at Gettysburg. The building with the tower in the second picture is probably one of the local churches, the next two buildings nearer to the camera are likely warehouses with a private residence of to the left. The flag is probably being raised from the town square, called by residents at the time "The Diamond." I hope this is of use.

YOS,
    Brandon T. Benner,
    151st PVI, Co. D

Comment

I thought that but don't know of any buildings in gettysburg that match that and looking at the terrain, the buildings seem to overlook the rest of the town which appears to be in a valley... The area just doesnt look like Gettysburg, there has been a suggestion that it might be Emmitsburg and the couploas are of the college there.. Also, the building in the blown up picture would have made a instant fortress for Union troops to take a stand in..
      thanks

Will Coffey

Why did not the Southern States wait and see whether A. Lincoln would interfere with slavery before they seceded." A federal Soldier's words left in a court clerk's office in Bennetsville, SC

Comment

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...9&d=1295375374

Here's a close-up.

Respectfully,

Michael Collins
        Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
        Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
        - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

Where's William Frassanito when we need him?
          David Fox

Comment

According to Frassanito's Journey in Time this image is entitled "Scene of the Confederate assault on Cemetery Hill, taken from below Steven's Knoll." I also looked through Frassanito's Early Photography at Gettysburg and found that the building in question is the Gettysburg Public School, built 1857-58. The building can be found in the images in Mr. Frassanito's Early Photography at Gettysburg on pages78 (view 22e) and page 117 (view 41).

Best,
            Respectfully,
            -Kyle M. Stetz
            Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

If you look at the blown up photo and go to the extreme right, it looks like there are military tents set up in the field. Am I imagining that?
              [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Mr. Raia,
                I think you're right. Perhaps part of Camp Letterman or a seperate hospital?
                Brandon T. Benner,
                151st PVI, Co. D

Comment

Yes sir, I'm also using "Early Photography at Gettysburg" by W.A.Frassanito as my reference.
                  The four towers rising above the main structure of these buildings from left to right would identify the Adams County Court House, the Gettysburg Public School, the German Reformed Church or St. James Lutheran Church and St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church. All these buildings are still standing.
                  The photo used for ID was from two plates taken by the Tyson Brothers, August 1863.
                  (22a-f) Panorama of the town of Gettysburg.
                  Last edited by yeoman; 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM.
                  Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                  Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                  Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                  www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

The flag appears to be in the square, and the large building is the old Gettysburg school on High street, and the "Alamo" is the old Adams County Jail, and the wall is the around the yard. The building still stands but the wall is gone.
                    Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
                    Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
                    5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

One thing that struck me is the image of the cornfield in the middle distance. I've not seen many period images of a farm field, and that is a great view of corn in midsummer. From the undergrowth, I'd say the field has been laid by, with no recent cultivation apparent.
                      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by ContinentalMorganGuard View Post
                        The flag appears to be in the square, and the large building is the old Gettysburg school on High street, and the "Alamo" is the old Adams County Jail, and the wall is the around the yard. The building still stands but the wall is gone.
                        Yeah but the land seems to dip quite a bit just beyond that building towards the flag..And it appears that the second story of the building in front of the fort like structure is almost even with the walls of the fort as if if was built into the side of a hill..The terrain just doesnt seem to look like Gettysburg, most of the actual village is pretty flat around the square, while this area seems quite elevated..And it seems like these buildings overlook what is being described as the town square with the flag...I might have missed it on numerious trips to gettysburg but the village itself seems to be constructed on relativly flat land but the houses in this picture are built on a pretty steep grade.. Is there anyway to post the pics that you are using to compare it too...

Ps.. Ok after studying the buildings previously list, I have to admit they certainly look like the ones in the picture, but does the ground actually dip that much coming from Culps Hill...And from that direction would the Highstreet school be directly in front of the jail? Thanks for digging up this information...
                        Last edited by wilber6150; 01-30-2011, 12:48 AM.
                        thanks

Will Coffey

Comment

So is the jail really that close to school or is that an optical illusion?
                          thanks

Will Coffey

Comment

Those two buildings are directly across the street from each other. Go to this address and see a satellite view of high street. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
                            Zoom in al the way, and the building labeled Gettysburg Borough planning , is the old jail and the building labeled Adams county housing authority is the old school.
                            Last edited by ContinentalMorganGuard; 01-30-2011, 06:46 PM. Reason: added info and link
                            Robert Ambrose

Park Ranger
                            Fort Frederick State Park, Maryland
                            5th Virginia Infantry Co. K

Comment

Working...
                            X