Coolest cooking pic I've ever seen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest cooking pic I've ever seen!

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I founded searching through the LOC and I couldn't help but post it here. What a neat cooking setup!

Title: [U.S. Army camp scenes, 1862?: Camp of 153d N.Y. Inf. (man cooking at stove]
    Date Created/Published: 1862?
    Medium: 1 photographic print.
    Reproduction Number: LC-USZ62-45934 (b&w film copy neg.)
    Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.

Call Number: LOT 4172-C [item] [P&P]
    Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
    Luke Gilly
    Breckinridge Greys
    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Re: Coolest cooking pic I've ever seen!

Nice picture man
    Nick Sparks

Breckinridge Greys

Comment

These are a lot of fun Luke. I've seen that stove reproduced about a half dozen times over the years, though always with a sheet metal door, while the door in the image looks 'cast' to me. Its not like there's a lot of call for those sorts of doors these days, so there's not a ready market to tool up for them. These are a godsend in the rain, and greatly cuts down on smoke in the eyes.

Note that the stove is set on a rock bed, which helps with ventilation and draw, as well as holding heat in the firebox. I'm equally intrigued with the d-handled pot on the right side of the image, as its not a treatment seen often in period pieces.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Is the cook wearing an unlined blouse with felled seams?
        Pat Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
          These are a lot of fun Luke. I've seen that stove reproduced about a half dozen times over the years, though always with a sheet metal door, while the door in the image looks 'cast' to me. Its not like there's a lot of call for those sorts of doors these days, so there's not a ready market to tool up for them. These are a godsend in the rain, and greatly cuts down on smoke in the eyes.

Note that the stove is set on a rock bed, which helps with ventilation and draw, as well as holding heat in the firebox. I'm equally intrigued with the d-handled pot on the right side of the image, as its not a treatment seen often in period pieces.
          I noticed the same thing about the door and wondered if one could modify an old furnace door to work. Suprisingly, there was at least one more in this camp (you can see it in the background). I wonder if some curious inventive soldier grabbed an old wash tub and the door off of something and the pipe off something else and threw it together or if it were some sort of heater/stove being produced for use in those siblyish tents in the background and they pulled it outside, or if it is being used for its original intent.
          Luke Gilly
          Breckinridge Greys
          Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Luke,

These are a manufactured item. A review of images sees too many of them out there.

As I understand the problem, once you get into building one, the door needs a slight curve to it to fit the oval shape of the stove body--so its hard to find a scrap door that fits the bill. Then there is a weight thing--folks replicating are likely building out of thinner stock just to deal with the weekend transport issues of a item that was used in a fixed winter quarters--and with that thinner stock, a cast door will be difficult to hang.

Those are Sibleys in the background--simply set up as 'Stockaded Sibleys', likely in a winter quarters. Look carefully at the tent in the background, especially if you can pull a high resolution image. I believe you'll see a floor........

Many a man has an inordinate fondness for the floored and stockaded Sibley (and its stove Vesuvius) recreated for the Winter '64 events in Newfane, New York . This laundress stood up on a hill on the cold darkness, watched the shadows of men against the canvas, cavorting and singing inside, silloutted by the roaring stove--that will always remain with me as the image of a winter camp.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Fantastic image. Funny, the first thing that came to mind when I opened this thread was a Federal "trooper" who was discussed back in '08 for seeming to have been photographed more than once, who bears a striking resemblance to the gent cooking above.

The aforementioned thread . . .
              Last edited by Murph; 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: Slight rewording. . .
              Caleb Miller

"A man who is clean has a better opinion of himself than one who is not and invariably makes a better soldier. This then is an important matter." - Inspector's comment on MacRae's Brigade, 1864

Comment

There's a small stack of firewood in that photo, isn't there?
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                Past President Potomac Legion
                Long time member Columbia Rifles
                Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

im pretty sure it is fire wood in the first picture,not for sure though
                  Nick Sparks

Breckinridge Greys

Comment

Yes sir, I can almost smell the cook fire smoke from here.
                    This image brings everything a little closer and you can see a couple of other fellows standing at the left side.

This image is from the U.S. National Archives photostream and may be reached with this link.
                    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

Love those stoves and the inside look at the tents!
                      Donald Lopuzzo
                      Bugler/ Acting Drum Major
                      7th Regiment Infantry N.J. Vols.

Comment

In the largest photo, 2 posts back, could the faint image of the man in front of the flat door panel be the same man that is leaning against the side of it? Could a quick-moving person make it from inside the doorway to leaning against the corner in the amount of time it took for the photo to be taken?
                        [B][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]Sherri Groff[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Curiosity is the wick in the candle of learning. - William Arthur Ward[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

[FONT="Garamond"][B][SIZE="2"]Proud member of the 186th PA, Civilian Group[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

more likely the man inside the tent. His coat is buttoned, the white at the collar and belly are similar and the draping at the bottom of the trowsers look similar.

Comment

Notice too the grass around the perimeter of the Sibley's. I would guess that is to soak up a little rain water and keep it out of the dirt?
                            John W. Kelton

[I]Honoring my ancestors:
                            [/I]Private Elias Kelton, Co. E, 11th GA Cav
                            Private William B. Massengale, Co. K, 11th AL Inf
                            Private John S. Davis, Co. H, 36th AL Inf
                            Private James D. Clary, Co. A, Tuscaloosa prison guards

Comment

:sarcastic....hope that guy washed his hands
                              [I][FONT="Garamond"]Jaime George
                              5th Virginia, Company A
                              Stonewall Brigade

"I'm doing much better, now that I've given up hope..."[/FONT][/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X