Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp of 44th NY Infantry, Greatcoat variation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp of 44th NY Infantry, Greatcoat variation.

This is a photo from the National Archives' collection on Flickr. The title is "Camp of 44th New York Infantry near Alexandria, Virginia". I thought the amount of variation between greatcoats was interesting and they also have a neat looking camp.

Original here and higher resolution available:
    Original Caption: Camp of 44th N.Y. Infantry near Alexandria, Va U.S. National Archives’ Local Identifier: NWDNS-111-B-195 From:: Series: Mathew Brady Photographs of Civil War-Era Personalities and Scenes, (Record Group 111) Photographer: Brady, Mathew, 1823 (ca.) - 1896 Coverage Dates: ca. 1860 - ca. 1865 Subjects: American Civil War, 1861-1865 Brady National Photographic Art Gallery (Washington, D.C.) strong>Persistent URL: catalog.archives.gov/id/524614 Repository: Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S), National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, 20740-6001. For information about ordering reproductions of photographs held by the Still Picture Unit, visit: www.archives.gov/research/order/still-pictures.html Reproductions may be ordered via an independent vendor. NARA maintains a list of vendors at www.archives.gov/research/order/vendors-photos-maps-dc.html Access Restrictions: Unrestricted Use Restrictions: Unrestricted
    Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Re: Camp of 44th NY Infantry, Greatcoat variation.

Interesting that while the regiment is wearing their greatcoats, the officers do not.

Chuck Mood
    Charles W. Mood

Comment

Thanks for the image. I always love a good greatcoat image! I wonder if the variation in color is as drastic as it appears in the picture? Sometimes colors pictured differently depending on the light and all...so I wonder how many are the same color and how many look different in the pic for whatever reason.
      On the same note, on some soldiers there is a drastic color difference between their trousers and their overcoat.
      I wonder who the lady and gents are in the archway (below the 44)?
      Great picture..full of detail.
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Wow, great photo! Nice find, Nathan. I am not an expert in wetplate photography, but I have noticed that in my own wetplates, two items of a similar shade of color (like a US sack coat and dark blue trousers) appear drastically different in the photo. Sometimes I wonder if the way the weave reflects light has anything to do with it. Of course, only speculation.
        Paul Boccadoro
        Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

The greatcoats are nifty...but that has to be the coolest camp I've ever seen! Brush arbors are neat, but those arches beat arbors all to heck! The shields, and what appears to be a corps badge on the main arch are super cool details.

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          Tom Craig

Comment

Looking at the other Civil War era images from the National Archives' Flickr account is worth it. There are several I haven't seen before and the details are interesting; knit sack coat being worn at Petersburg, Federal soldier carrying a leather-strapped fabric-covered tin drum canteen, gunners of a battery wearing identical contract issue shirts, etc..
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Originally posted by GreencoatCross View Post
              Looking at the other Civil War era images from the National Archives' Flickr account is worth it. There are several I haven't seen before and the details are interesting; knit sack coat being worn at Petersburg, Federal soldier carrying a leather-strapped fabric-covered tin drum canteen, gunners of a battery wearing identical contract issue shirts, etc..
              Brian, can you post thast knit sack coat picture?
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Yes sir, the National Archives photo stream on Flickr is a terrific site and I have it set on my favorites bar.

This is another view of camp with Alexandria in the background.

The same image in original size...

This found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnatio...7624287859202/
                Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
                Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
                Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
                www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

This image, also from NARA's flickr account is also pretty neat.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Does anyone know anything more on the double breasted jackets that a good number of these kids are wearing?
                  Bill Backus

Comment

Attached are cropped images of the soldier wearing the knit sack coat, and the soldier wearing a covered tin drum canteen. The sack coat is one of the few I've found in images that isn't the gray variety worn by the 7th NYSM. Note the brass buttons and binding on the cuff edge.

Bill, there is another photo of an artillery battery standing behind their guns, and the men are wearing the same double breasted short jackets. They're wearing forage caps too, but some of the officers appear to be wearing Navy caps. Perhaps a detachment of Naval artillery?
                    Attached Files
                    Brian White
                    [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]

Comment

Pottzblitz! Really a knit sack coat. I hope that keen eyes will find more pitures. Thanks Brian!
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess
                      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

There are so many interesting details hidden within so many photos in this collection that I'm hard-pressed to find the time to sort and post them. As for the knit blouse, it looks the same as the one in the tintype owned by Paul McKee, down to the (probably) military buttons and binding. The coat in Paul's image also has an exterior pocket if you look closely.
                        Brian White

Comment

You can't trust the captions on some of these photos. In one that is titled "Camp of 71st NY" there are two guys with "22" on their caps.
                          Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Found the following in the regimental history of the 44th New York, available free from google books:

Winter 1864:
                            "After the streets and tents of the regiment had been put in superior condition, a beautiful arch was erected at the foot of each street. All the arches, except the central arch, were of similar design and construction, elaborately and beautifully trimmed with evergreens, and the letter of the Company suspended from the center of the arch.

The central street was wider than the other streets, its arch was higher than the other arches, with canvas attached to framework on which in large letters were names of the different battles in which the regiment had been engaged. The officers' tents were placed at the head of the street, due regard being had to intervening space. As a whole, it was an ideal camp and maintained with scrupulous care. It was the pride of the whole regiment and did not require drastic orders to keep it in excellent condition."

And about the photgraphs:
                            "On Sunday, the 20th day of March, an artist came from Brady's famous war-time picture gallery in Washington and took different impressions of the camp from which large pictures were made, many of which are still preserved by members and friends of the regiment. The picture showed the regiment faultlessly formed at dress parade, with the entire camp in the background. Another picture was taken showing the officers present with the regiment in full dress uniform, standing in the central arch. This, too, was an excellent picture, and many copies of it are preserved."
                            Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                            X