What is going on in this pic?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on in this pic?!

Look real close, why are there so many double breasted jackets? Are those crossed sabers on some of those dudes hats? and check the gnarly smoking caps.
    Brett Asselin
    Rebel Death Squad
    Lee's Miserables
    Liberty Rifles
    SC Society

Re: What is going on in this pic?!

I think you need to add the image, not seeing anything.
    Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
    49th Ohio
    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Original Caption: Company of Infantry on parade U.S. National Archives’ Local Identifier: NWDNS-111-B-175 From:: Series: Mathew Brady Photographs of Civil War-Era Personalities and Scenes, (Record Group 111) Photographer: Brady, Mathew, 1823 (ca.) - 1896 Coverage Dates: ca. 1860 - ca. 1865 Subjects: American Civil War, 1861-1865 Brady National Photographic Art Gallery (Washington, D.C.) strong>Persistent URL: catalog.archives.gov/id/524594 Repository: Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S), National Archives at College Park, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, 20740-6001. For information about ordering reproductions of photographs held by the Still Picture Unit, visit: www.archives.gov/research/order/still-pictures.html Reproductions may be ordered via an independent vendor. NARA maintains a list of vendors at www.archives.gov/research/order/vendors-photos-maps-dc.html Access Restrictions: Unrestricted Use Restrictions: Unrestricted
      Brett Asselin
      Rebel Death Squad
      Lee's Miserables
      Liberty Rifles
      SC Society

Comment

This is indeed weird - and considering there are nearly 100 men in the photo, and so many uniform variations, the "company of infantry" description might be a stretch. Note that none of the men in double breasted coats are under arms - probably sailors.

Bet this is a western subject taken in a place like Cairo, IL and those sailors are a gunboat crew.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

A real odd-ball photo. It is ID'd as an infantry company...but the fellow in the frock with the full-dressed Hardee hat appears to be artillery...so I guess they're "heavies". A real odd mixture of of those double-breasted jackets and standard sack coats and frock coats. Some guys are fully-accoutered, some with full knapsacks...and a whole group not under arms at all.

Paul McKee

Correction: I see that only the kneeling men are armed and accoutered. Everyone behind them is not under arms, and nearly half of them have that strange double-breasted jacket. Several of the unarmed men have full knapsacks with bedrolls too.
          Last edited by CompanyWag; 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM.
          Paul McKee

Comment

Took me a while to find it but here's the other photo I mentioned in an earlier thread. If you look at the officers in both photos, they are the same men. The officer wearing a blouse and with mutton chops is standing at left with what looks like a small squad of infantry (?) in fatigue blouses. The rest are in the short double-breasted jackets with a variety of headgear including tams or navy "flat hats", forage caps, kepis, and hats.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnatio...7624163222897/
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

I would also say that the guns in the second picture certainly appear to be Navy Boat Howitzers, so it would appear that this could be a gunboat crew. I don't know too much about western gun boat crews, but the men under arms are probably Marines or soldiers detailed as marines.
              Andrew Roscoe,
              The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
              24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Yes, those guns appear to be 12-pounder Dahlgren Boat Howitzers. Definitely Navy, I'd say. You may well be correct about the armed men in the first photo as well.

Paul McKee
                Paul McKee

Comment

Mississippi Marine Brigade. Mixture of Army and Navy?
                  Steven Michael Sullivan

Comment

Could it be a garrison from some fort along the Mississippi? I can't make out the background real well, should get my glasses fixed, but just a thought.
                    Jason Williams
                    14th Virginia Cavalry
                    2nd US Dragoons
                    WCWA
                    Malden #188 F&AM

Comment

In the first image are those crossed cannon on the guys hats? They kind of look like crossed sabers. Also some of those infantry guys look way to hardened to be garrison troops. And its interesting because Matthew Brady is the photographer. i never really thought he left the Eastern theater.
                      Brett Asselin
                      Rebel Death Squad
                      Lee's Miserables
                      Liberty Rifles
                      SC Society

Comment

I think the hypothesis that this is a naval/marine detachment is the most likely, but hard to say whether they are part of a gunboat crew or on shore duty. The western gunboat crews were filled out early on with men transferred from infantry regiments, which could explain the infantry gear. They could also be navy detached to garrison shore batteries. Harper's Ferry had a battery manned by a naval detachment, so it's not a stretch to think that Cairo, with actual naval facilities, would be similar. You also had naval detachments manning shore batteries at siege of Vicksburg.

Could also be Ellet's Mississippi Marine Brigade. I know they had a unique uniform, partiicularly some sort of long-billed cap, but don't remember the details to compare to this photo.
                        John Christiansen
                        SGLHA
                        PLHA

Comment

The image is attributed to Mathew Brady, which if correct, rules out the Western theater. Certainly an odd group here, and as observed, Navy and probably Marines.
                          Scott Cross
                          "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
                            The image is attributed to Mathew Brady, which if correct, rules out the Western theater. Certainly an odd group here, and as observed, Navy and probably Marines.
                            This guy is the proverbial fly in the ointment as far as the Marine ID. I know of no Marines uniformed like this. Fully trimmed dress hat looped up on the right, crossed cannon insignia, frock coat...and are those shoulder scales I spy peeking out under his knapsack straps? This is why I had originally opined "Heavy Artillery" for the armed guys.

Admittedly, this fellow does look a little out of place among the other armed men.

Paul McKee
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by CompanyWag; 04-05-2011, 01:10 PM.
                            Paul McKee

Comment

He's also wearing a 9 button frock. Marine is 7 button.
                              Mike Stein
                              Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X