Epic Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Fail

Interesting photograph, but I think he might have failed in his attempt to reverse the traps.
    Attached Files
    Jason David

Peter Pelican
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    Old Northwest Vols.

Re: Epic Fail

I wonder if there was booze involved?
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I'm afraid the words "I dare ya" were uttered at some point not long before this image was struck.
      Love the pinky ring. Is it upside down, too?
      Pat Brown

Comment

Actually, I've run across a few of those where the US is upside down. Most recently in a photo of Conrad Noll, Co D, 20th MI Inf, Medal of Honor recipient: http://bentley.umich.edu/exhibits/ci...ges/hs6928.jpg
        Matt Adair

Comment

While Noll's buckle is upside down, his cap box looks to be right side up. The picture Jason posted is a little more extreme in its upside down-ness.
          For what action did Noll earn the MoH?
          Pat Brown

Comment

What I don't quite get is that his bayonet scabbard is the correct way up to. It just seems odd how he wore these traps for the pic.
            Jason David

Peter Pelican
            36th Illinois Co. "B"
            Prodigal Sons Mess
            Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I love this image. I wonder if some upside down buckles can be accounted for by left handed guys who just put their belts on the way they always had and didn't bother looking at the buckle, the way they always hadn't. An upside down cap box? He seems to be used to not looking at much of anything.
              It looks like a Georgia jacket he's wearing.
              [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
              [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
              Independent Volunteers
              [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Comment

Seems to me he just slid the cap box and bayonet scabbard around to their opposite sides with out removing them from the belt. Then turn the whole contraption upside down to wear so that in the reversed image of the photograph, the cap box and scabbard would appear to be on the correct side. If you look at the bayonet elbow, its pointing outward and should be pointing inward. Without taking any of the items off the belt... If you slide the scabbard back across the buckle (via in front of you) and the cap box around to the other side (via behind you) then flip the entire rig upside down.... it would wear correctly.
                Brad Ireland
                Old Line Mess
                4th VA CO. A
                SWB

Comment

This appears to be an image of a fellow wearing the early Illinois gray uniform jacket with the black cuff trim; shoulder tabs; and collar. A very scarce image, even if he did get his belt and equipment wadded in a knot! I love it! Where is the original image located?
                  Scott Cross
                  "Old and in the Way"

Comment

It was in one of the collections from the Library of Congress' database.
                    Jason David

Peter Pelican
                    36th Illinois Co. "B"
                    Prodigal Sons Mess
                    Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

Hahaha, Farb. I have seen a good number of images where guys have screwed up trying to turn there gear to avoid the reverse, but this is the first time I've seen an upside down cap pouch. At least he got the reversed arms port right. Who ever he is wearing the pinky ring for must have been proud.
                      -Brandon Hand
                      48th NY Co. F
                      Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Working...
                      X