Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knapp's Battery at Antietam

Hi all,

While perusing the Auburn library for material for my grad school paper, I wandered down the Civil War section to look around, as I usually do. I came upon Frassanito's work on photography at Antietam. In it, he examines the photo of Knapp's Battery taken on September 19, 1862, just two days after the battle. He states in the book that the location of the photograph was around the area of the Smoketown Road looking north towards the cornfield and the Miller and Poffenberger farms.

I had never realized this before about the photo's location. Aside from being in the background of some of the Hagerstown Pike photos, and one of the Dunker Church ridge photos, we don't see the "clover field" as Priest calls it or the area of the cornfield in Gardner's study. I've always been fascinated by Antietam and in particular this roughly square mile's worth of battlefield that saw the heaviest and bloodiest 5 hours in American history. I was wondering if anyone could find a high res copy of the image so we could examine the background. I used the search engine but could find nothing as to where it has been discussed already. If it has, please accept my apologies and direct me to the link.

Thank You!

Ryan Alcaino

Re: Knapp's Battery at Antietam

Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Go to: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

Do a search for: Captain J.M. Knap

And you will find that pic. Click on the thumbnail image and you will get an option for downloading a hi-rez version.
      Dave Gink
      2nd US Cavalry
      West Bend, WI

Comment

Thanks for the link! I've always been fascinated by Antietam. While on the subject, does anyone know for sure where the following image was taken?

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpb/00900/00976v.jpg

It's included with the Antietam collections and dated to September, 1862. Ken Burns included it as one of the pictures of the dead at Antietam in the Forever Free episode. I haven't been able to find any other reference to it or seen it included anywhere else. It's curious for a number of reasons including the little white fence in the background, yet the most striking thing to me is the condition of the dead soldiers who are all Confederate as it appears. If this photo was taken on the 19th, along with the majority of the Antietam dead pictures, why haven't these men undergone the same decomposition that the other bodies have? Was it taken at Antietam? Was it staged, as in, are they actually dead men or pretending? And if it was staged, why would Confederate prisoners agree to lay on the field for a posed picture like that? Or if not Confederates, why would Federal troops put on reb gear to pose?

Ryan Alcaino

Comment

I wonder if this is misidentified and actually shows Confederate dead on the Rose Farm at Gettysburg...
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
          X