Wonderful photo from old-picture.com collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful photo from old-picture.com collection

( http://www.old-picture.com/civil-war...ampfire-by.htm )

It's hard to imagine that this is an original photograph though I have yet to find a fake on the site. The soldier on the left seems to have civilian trousers along with what may even be a civilian sack. I doubt he's an officer with the bedroll, bayonet and cartridge box.

The two with blankets have them over what I would consider the 'wrong' shoulder.

One guy has on a greatcoat AT GETTYSBURG!!! No way he could be cold.... I even considered the photo was taken there months after the battle however all of the foliage around the 'camp' shows that it is during a very green season. He also has his trousers tucked into his socks btw.

It also looks like the soldier in the poorly set up tent and the one walking in the background may have on greatcoats.

Everyone seems quite clean here too.... :confused_
    Richard (Russ) Russell

Co. A Rock City Guards, 1st Tenn Vol. Inf. (125th's - 135th's)
    'The Old Guard' (150th's)
    Corinthian Lodge #414 F&AM Nashville, TN

Re: Wonderful photo from old-picture.com collection

Seems this image has been up for discussion a while back..., did you notice the fellow in the tent and the gent in the back ground by the tree?
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Comment

I've seen this image discussed too, but I can't recall where. Something about it doesn't smell right though.
      Bryant Roberts
      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

This just screams reenactors. The fellow with the beard sure looks like Cal Kinzer of the old Union Rifles.
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

A couple of previous threads about this photo:

In the second thread, Eric Mink links to another similar photo of the some "dead" soldiers, maybe even including the same greatcoat-and-bloused-socks guy from the campfire. There's discussion that the series was posed by painter Albert Bierstadt, as studies for paintings.

Here's another thread on the other photo of the "dead":

These photos clearly have the feel of posted artist's reference pictures, but they also have the feel of post-war images, and Bierstadt lived a long time, until 1902.

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

My first thought when looking at it was "There's Cal!" as Scott pointed out. Nice call on Bierstadt too Hank.

Warren
            Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
            Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
            Former Mudsill
            Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

About the blanket roll being on the wrong shoulder... I would disagree. There are many photographs and illustrations that show it was not at all uncommon, for whatever reason.

Take a look at this photo from another thread:
              Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Comment

Here's my two cents.
                Why would they be in full marching gear while cooking grub. From the back ground it looks like they were pitching camp. I don't know about you but the first thing I did when I stopped for lunch (dinner) was to strip off my pack, at least something to sit on.
                Andy Miller
                [U]Andy Miller[/U]
                1st CAlifornia Cavalry Company A
                [I]"Lying down behind the body of my dying animal, I opened fire with my carbine swaring to kill at least one apache" [U]John Teal 1862[/U][/I]

Comment

I don't know much about anything, But look at the tin can boiler...are those ribs? If my feet were held to the fire, I'd saw Reeactor too. plm
                  Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

In general, if you haven’t read the two or three threads that have already discussed this image. Please do! There is some very good information and observations found within them. Here is a more detailed citation concerning this and the referenced “dead” at Bull Run photograph:

Title: Gettysburg [?]
                    Date Created/Published: [between 1861 and 1869]
                    Medium: 1 negative : glass, wet collodion.
                    Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpb-03522 (digital file from original neg.)
                    Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
                    Call Number: LC-B811- 4021 [P&P]
                    Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print

Title: Dead on battlefield at 1st Bull Run
                    Date Created/Published: [between 1862 and 1865]
                    Medium: 1 negative : glass, stereograph, wet collodion.
                    Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-cwpbh-03383 (digital file from original neg.)
                    Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
                    Call Number: LC-BH822- 432 [P&P]
                    Repository: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print

One other note. The above photograph, “Dead on battlefield at 1st Bull Run,” is found on page 102 of The American Heritage Picture History of The Civil War. (1960: American Heritage Publishing Co., Inc.)
                    Matthew Rector

Comment

I'm surprised in all the threads about this image on this site, that no one (that I can find) has brought up Frassanito's "Antietam", in which he discusses at length the "Dead on Matthews Hill" photo. According to him, the photo surfaced in 1954, and a few years later a negative of it was discovered in the Brady-Handy collection of the LOC.

What is remarkable is that Frassanito located an image of the same men standing and pretending to load and fire in exactly the same spots in which they were photographed playing dead (see page 31). The picture in the book is of pretty lousy quality, but it gives you a better look at the guys in the background, one of whom appears to wear a sack coat and have a large bedroll over the right shoulder. Looking closely at both of those pics, and at the men around the fire, the argument that they're the same group is even stronger.

So, whatever the mystery photo is, it's pre-1954, part of this series, and somehow ended up in the Brady photo collection of the Library of Congress.

Frassanito, William A. Antietam: The Photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day. Gettysburg: Thomas, 1978.
                      Jim Schruefer
                      Staunton, VA
                      [url]www.blueandgraymarching.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                      X