Odd looking Fatigue Blouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd looking Fatigue Blouse

The quality seems far below what you see in most examples. It has quite a different look to it than I am used to seeing. Any thoughts on this?

Nathan Bruff

[email]Nbruff@gmail.com[/email]

Re: Odd looking Fatigue Blouse

Interesting. Almost looks like it is felt that is napping up. Nice find.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Ive noticed a few others with a similar nap, I will try to post them later when I have time.
      Nathan Bruff

Comment

I think the english word for it is pilling. The same I have recognized after wear for a wile on some fabrics I use.
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Sorry it has taken so long, my internet connection is slow and spotty at best and it can take me a while to upload photos.

I agree that it's "pilling", it's just the degree to which it is occurring that is interesting. Normally it appears in areas of high wear, like under the armpits. I think that either material used in that particular coat had alot of loose fibers or that it has been washed repeatedly in hot water.

This image, also from the LOC, shows a similar level of pilling. This blouse appears to have collar hooks and the buttons seem to have been moved over an inch or two. For a tighter fit possibly? In any case, the buttons are off-center:

I'm going to toss in another photograph I found on the LOC that is something of a curiosity. His blouse looks like it might be coming apart at the shoulder and the gold chain is a bit different. The combination of a holster and cap pouch is interesting.

Nathan Bruff

Comment

due to the contrast of the first pic you can't tell if the pants are pilling also; but in the 2nd & 3rd likenesses the pants are also pilling up. I would bet that if one were to wash his clothes repeatedly with a wash board this would occur to your wool articles of clothing. Keep your local laundress employed!

rub (with cake of soap).
            scrub (on your washboard).
            Rinse (clothes)
            Repeat until clean!

Rub-a-dub-dub.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
            Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
            Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
            Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
            The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Piling for sure. The quality of the cloth was probably middle to low grade. (Nothing a good scraping couldn't fix...)

Off topic...I really Like the Saxon Musket the fellow has in the first Photo!

Respectfully,

Michael Collins
              Michael S. Collins

15th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co "G"
              Robert L. Miller Award Recipient No.26 May, 2003

"Trust in God and Fear Nothing."
              - Brig. General Lewis Addison Armistead

Comment

The second fella seems to be wearing his belt backwards, or at least sideways. I admit to having occasionally done this with some of my webbing trouser belts as it produces a sash/cumberbund effect, but I hav'nt seen it with the accoutrement belt before.
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

I like the first photo a lot. It just goes to show how much those people who were making the blouses really didn't care how they turned out in the end. The sleeves are pretty terrible looking, but a really cool photo nonetheless.
                  Pvt. Michael "Doc" Zembek

Chesapeake Volunteer Guard Co. E

"The Mud Pie Mess"

Comment

Working...
                  X