Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34th Alabama Infantry, Company G 1/9th Plate Cased Tintype

Hello all,
    I wanted to share with you an image that's been in my collection for over 20 years....The image is a 1/9th plate tintype with case, id's on the inside with a period signature that matches those on his pay vouchers... Joshua W. Whaley, Co G, 34th Ala Inf.
    Whaley was born in Georgia January 28, 1843, and migrated as a child with his family to Tallapoosa County, Alabama. He enlisted in 1862 in the 34th, which was assigned to Manigault's Brigade, AOT. Pvt. Whaley was named to the Confederate Roll of Honor for his actions at Murfreesboro, severely wounded in the thigh at Resaca, and surrendered with Johnson in 1865. While on leave for his wound he married Sarah Pearce Crow on June 30, 1864...After the War he farmed in Tallapoosa County, dying there April 26, 1881. He is buried in New Harmony Cemetery. In this image Whaley is wearing what I believe to be a State of Alabama issue dark blue kepi...Whaley was also a Mason.
    Attached Files
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Re: 34th Alabama Infantry, Company G 1/9th Plate Cased Tintype

Thanks for taking the time to post and share that image Tom. My first reenactment unit, the 28th Alabama*, was in Manigault's Brigade. It is always nice to see an image of a soldier associated with that brigade, one doesn't often see images from that end of the AoT.

*(We're having a reunion this fall at the Alabama state archives.)
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I had heard that the State of Alabam has dedicated a hall to her Confederate & Union soldiers, with photos covering the walls. I sent them a copy of Whaley's image, which they accepted, saying as you did that not many images surface from the AOT, especially the 34th. Perhaps you'll see it there.
      Last edited by Secesh; 07-09-2011, 06:39 PM.
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Tom, many years ago, the whole third floor of the archives was one giant hall of CS flags. Most/all were taken down for restoration, but they are now back, or at least most of them from what I hear. There are some nice uniform items in there, and I hope to be permitted to take pics, etc. of their other goodies when I get in this next fall.
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

That would be great if they would allow you to take pics! Perhaps you could post some of them on here?
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Tom, I will be happy to post any images here that I take as long as they: a) turn out, and b) the archive folks don't mind. Again, thanks so much for sharing this. I've forwarded this on to my old pards that are heading to the reunion, and it created much excitement.
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Tom, I am intrigued by the "state issue dark blue kepi". Any more information on those, when issued, who to, etc.?
              Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

The State of Alabama has digitized their photographic archives and placed it online. Here is the link:

Tom's photograph is on the above website and so are several other 34th Alabama images.
                Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Warren you might find this of interest:

"Labeled "William McLoad," this Confederate in a captain's uniform is probably Captain William A. McLeod, Co. H., 28th Alabama Infantry, C.S.A., who was killed in 1864. Ambrotype is 2 x 2.5 inches."

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Adam, thanks so much on both counts!
                    Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Thanks for the link Adam! As to the kepi, I do know that early in the War the State of Alabama Volunteer Corps were issued dark blue frocks and kepis with glossy leather visors and Alabama State Seal buttons on the sides per Alabama regulations...This kepi appears to match that description. Unfortunately I do not know if the overshirt he's wearing is a private purchase or issued fatigue shirt, but can say that the plaid necktie is probably non-regulation...lol
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Warren, this example was most likely worn by Private J.F. Blackwell of Company B (later Company I) of the 5th Alabama and was formally in the Michael Kramer Collection.

***Note: Warren, PM sent.
                        Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Since I have been working with Manigault's brigade so much over the past few years Ill pass along a little reading.

The Civil War Letters of Joshua K. Callaway, one of the best letter collections from a Jr. Officer I have seen, also sorts of little details in there from his reading list to him carrying a carpet bag on campaign. He was a from Summerfield in Dallas County where he was a school teacher.

Great Things Are Expected of Us: The Letters of Colonel C. Irvine Walker, 10th South Carolina Infantry, C.S.A., Walker was a staff officer for Manigault for most of the war, being transfered to the 10th at Atlanta in 64. Very colorful letters that span the entire war in the west for the 10th. Interesting perspective of a coastal SC regiment sent to the Army of Tennessee, needless to say there is culture shock. Walker is very outspoken in his opinions and are a good counter to the much humbler Callaway.

A Carolinian Goes To War. Manigault's memoir. A very rare thing to see from a brigadier and ties in perfectly with both of the above. A lot of insigt into this brigade can be seen through this book.
                          Lee White
                          Researcher and Historian
                          "Delenda Est Carthago"
                          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Lee! Looks like 3 more titles to add to my ever-growing list of books to acquire!~
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Tom:

The Alabama Archives have also posted online a very interesting collection of letters written by Thomas Warrick who served in the "Coosa Home Guards, and he was a private in Company C of the 34th Alabama Infantry."

Here's the link:

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Working...
                              X