Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civil War Flags: 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (7th Reserves)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil War Flags: 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (7th Reserves)

Regimental flags played a key role during the Civil War.

Pictured below is a rare wartime photograph of a Regimental flag currently on ebay:

This is the regimental battle flag of the 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (7th Infantry Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers).

36th Infantry, (7th Reserves) Flag
    Unit 36th Infantry, (7th Reserves)
    Unit Type Infantry
    Flag Type State Color
    Maker Horstmann Brothers and Company
    Accession 1985.036
    ACR v1p99
    Width 72.25
    Height 76.625
    Markings
    Maker Markings
    Details 36th Infantry, (7th Reserves), First State Color. The 7th reserves organized in West Chester in June 1861, and was composed of men from Cumberland, Perry, Lebanon, Clinton, Philadelphia, Luzerne, Cumberland, and Berks counties. The regiment received its first state color on September 10, 1861, which was retired in December 1863 when the regiment received a replacement. The regiment was mustered out in June 1864.

This is how the flag looks today:

Adam Dintenfass

Re: Civil War Flags: 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (7th Reserves)

Thanks for posting this. It's amazing to see a wartime image of the flag under which my ancestor served, drank, and whored!
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM View Post
      It's amazing to see a wartime image of the flag under which my ancestor served, drank, and whored!
      Okay Marc I smell a story here. Care to elaborate?

PS, It is a cool photograph.~Gary
      Gary Dombrowski
      [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I'd like to think that Great-Grandpa Hopkins was, like myself, a cut above the rest when it came to drill, starting out the war as a 1st Sergeant, then skipping 2nd Lieutenancy right for 1st.

Other than that, well...I suppose there's a reason no one on that side of my family ever admitted to knowing anything about him: http://www.pareserves.com/?q=node/2539
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

WOW! Interesting story, although his military career did not have a heroic end. I'm curious if being casheried would prevent someone from reinlisting in a different regiment? Thanks Marc. ~Gary
          Gary Dombrowski
          [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Doesn't look like he did, anyway. What's weird, though, he later claims and successfully receives a pension (and signs off on a document that claims having been honorably discharged, no less!) His tombstone proudly states his rank and unit, too.
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.

Comment

An album containing several identified and unidentified CDVs of members of the 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers (7th Reserves) has been split up and the images individually listed on ebay. I thought I would add them to this thread. All have the same photographer's imprint on the back.

"Identified on the reverse Lt John Deitrick. Member of Co B 7th Pa Reserves. I have found some conflicting information about this soldier. I see information stating that he was dismissed on May 3 1964 and information stating that he was captured May 5th 1864. He was a Blacksmith from Liverpool Perry County and went on to become a Captain in the Ellsworth Zouaves 15th Division National Guard of Pa. 1869-1872 ." . . . . Taken from the auction description.
              Adam Dintenfass

Comment

"Identified on the reverse as James C. Duffy. Duffy was in Company B and escaped being captured during the Wilderness. He was Transferred to 190th Regiment P. V., May 31, 1864; Vet."
                Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Although unidentified, the studio props are the same.

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

"Identified on the reverse "Wm H. Dewalt". Born in Perr Conty Pa. Enlisted in 1861, in Company B. 7th Pennsylvania Reserves. He escaped capture at the Wilderness and transfered into the 190th Pa Infantry.. Some information found on the internet reads " William Dewalt, proprietor Eagle Hotel, was born 1844, in Perry County, He fought with his regiment at Antietam, Mechanicsville, Second Bull Run and Fredericksburg, where he and a few others captured the only trophy of that blood-clouded day -- a rebel flag. After fighting at Gettysburg and the Wilderness campaign, and that of Richmond and Petersburg, he came, uninjured, out of the service. Came from Pennsylvania to Kansas in 1870, engaged in farming for a few years, then built his hotel, the first and only one in Vermillion. He has of late done a brisk real estate business in connection. Mrs. DeWalt was Margaret E. Lanck, and they have one son -- Charles, born November, 1866, in Shermansdale, Pa. Mr. DeWalt is a Republican."
                        Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Adam Dintenfass

Comment

"On the reverse it reads "George W Palmer Company H. 7th Regt P.R.V.C. Mechanicsburg Cumberland County Penna". George Palmer was captured May 5th 1864 at the Wilderness and was held prisioner at Andersonville until Feb. 1865. He is buried at the Trindle Springs Lutheran Cemetery, Silver Spring Co. There are at least 7 other members of the 7th Pennsylvania buried in this cemetery (information found on the internet). Company H was knowns as The "Cumberland Guards" of Cumberland County."
                            Adam Dintenfass

Comment

"On the reverse it reads "J.G.P. Martin (Gainer) Co I 7th Regt. P.R.C. Martin was captured on May 5th 1864. He died at Andersonville, Oct 11th 1864. Grave #10678. Vet. Company I was knowns as The "Myerstown Rifles" of Lebanon/Berks County."
                              Adam Dintenfass

Comment

Working...
                              X