Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Fed belt

From a 1/6 ambrotype on antiquephotographics.com:

Metal grommets in the belt adjustment holes? Painted cloth with stitched eyelets?

Looks like a better-than-issue grade frock, too.
    Marc A. Hermann
    Liberty Rifles.
    MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
    Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Re: Unusual Fed belt

Looks like metal grommets to me. Nice find! Hey, they had them on shoe string holes, why not belt adjustment holes.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Its hard to tell what its made of. Before I suspected painted cloth, I would think it would be folder leather over buckram, perhaps. I guess a grommet would certainly be useful, as those hooks can be rough.

Coat looks a smidge large on him, based on how far it comes down on his hand.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

How about a Rifleman's belt, groments to hook those knapsack straps?
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Riflemans belts were of a different design. There were brass pieces attached on the sides of the belt where the knapsack straps attached. Though I guess this could be a design I've never seen.
          Handsome Company Mess

Comment

Three buttons on the cuff and no piping...the frock looks like either a private purchase or a state issue to me. The buttons look wide and flat...certainly not general service eagle buttons and probably state buttons. But the belt is indeed the most interesting feature.

Nice find!

Paul McKee
            Paul McKee

Comment

Am I the only one who's getting a "painted cloth vibe" from the cartridge box sling, too?
              Marc A. Hermann
              Liberty Rifles.
              MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
              Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I agree with Marc...
                Tristan Galloway

Comment

You know, that sling certainly does look like painted cloth to me. Any research out there in regards to federal state troops being issued painted cloth accouterments, or at least belts and straps in this case?
                  Handsome Company Mess

Comment

I also get that painted cloth feel. It also looks like it bends ever so slightly in a few spots unlike leather would do. I would also guess brass grommets. Although its hard to tell on both. Great pic!
                    Brandon Ledvina

Comment

If you save the picture and zoom in on the buttons you can make out the eagles on the buttons along the front. The frock has some weird construction. No piping, bellowed sleeves, buttons on cuffs, taller collar, and it looks liek there is no interfacing in the collar. The sling looks like painted cloth, it looks at though it is folded so that the seam runs down then middle on the back side of the strap.
                      -Brandon Hand
                      48th NY Co. F
                      Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                        If you save the picture and zoom in on the buttons you can make out the eagles on the buttons along the front.
                        Tried that, but the image is really too pixillated to pick out that kind of detail. I certainly could be wrong, but I'm sticking with my first thought that these are state buttons due to size and shape.

In the enlarged image, the sling does indeed look like painted canvas.

Paul McKee
                        Paul McKee

Comment

Based upon size and shape of buttons, and style of frock coat, I'd bet that's a Connecticut soldier, possibly the three-month 3rd Connecticut Infantry judging by other photos of same.
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I feel its a blackened buff sling, and I agree with Bob regarding the CT buttons on a commercial grade coat.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                            X