Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The well known photo of the 4th Michigan soldier against a tree...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The well known photo of the 4th Michigan soldier against a tree...

Was browsing a treasure trove worth of CW photos from a seekingmichigan website (hundreds and hundreds of photographs) and the guy in the back right of this image struck me as familiar for some reason..

Might it be this same gentleman?

ANd upon further review they are BOTH from the 4th Michigan..so i dunno ..pretty neat to find a new image of someone who has been in your civil war image memory since being a child

On the other hand it may not be the same person AT ALL..they could just be wearing similar headwear, being in the same regiment and all..I will continue to research it for my own satisfaction
    Aron Price
    AG

Re: The well known photo of the 4th Michigan soldier against a tree...

nevermind..I was wrong again..

The well known photo is of Emory Eugene Kingin

"Portrait of Emory E. [or Eugene] Kingin Company H , Twenty-First Michigan Infantry 1861-1865. Enlisted in company H, Twenty-first Infantry, Jan. 4, 1864, at Grand Rapids, for 3 years, age 17. Mustered Jan. 8, 1864. Joined regiment at Chattanooga, Tenn., Jan 28, 1864. Transferred to company E, Fourteenth Infantry, June 9, 1865. Mustered out at Louisville, Ky., July 18, 1865. (Descriptive Roll Twenty-First Michigan Volunteers). "

The other website had him listed as 4th michigan..but it appears he was in the 14th
    Aron Price
    AG

Comment

nice M1855 rifle he is loading! He would be asked to remove his pistols if he showed up at an EFUBU. Appears like he has leather leggins & dark blue pants also. So this was taken in '64? M1855, leggins and dark blue pants. Possible I suppose. I think it has more of an early war look to it though.

What kind of shoes is the fellow wearing in the 2nd photo? They appear to be 2-toned.
      Last edited by Prodical Reb; 08-19-2011, 07:55 PM.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I have always seen that picture billed as a 4th Michigan man and taken at the same time as the photo above along with others. The cap is well known to be worn by men in the fourth early in the war.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
        X