A Red Badge of Courage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Red Badge of Courage

Two of my favorite items for perusal this evening. They include a rare 17th Maine Reg't. badge and a photograph of the Regiment before the Wilderness May 3, '64. As most know, many of these men were shot down shortly after this photograph was taken.
    I'm not sure how well you can make out the badge, but the bar says "Maine Vol Inf'try." To the left of this inscription is the 3rd Corps Diamond and on the left of the bar, the 2nd Corps Clover, denoting their transfer, which none of the men were too happy about.
    The inscription on the lozenge along the top part of the border says, "Fredericksburg to Appomattox," while along the base it states 1862 (star) 1865.

The photograph is one I truly enjoy for the fact that it shows a battle hardened regiment in the field in size, seemingly reaching to infinity, much like looking down a train track. As well, how can you not love the band in detail? You don't find many of those.
    My wife's ancestor was Pvt. John Brown of Cape Elizabeth, a farmer. Wounded on the 3rd day of Gettysburg below the knee by artillery while in support of a battery.

The 17th Maine was one of Fox's 300 fighting Regiments. For what it's worth, a nice remembrance on a Summer evening.
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Re: A Red Badge of Courage

Great photo and sweet badge. ~G
    Gary Dombrowski
    [url]http://garyhistart.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Alan:
      Check out Corporal Addison Pratt of Company C, 17th Maine up for auction on Ebay

Up for auction is a Civil War CDV of Private Addison B. Pratt, Company C, 17th Maine Infantry. At the Battle of Gettysburg, Private Addison Pratt participated in the ferocious fighting in the bloody Wheatfield (also known as the Whirlpool of Death) on July 2nd, fighting against Confederates of General Longstreet's Corps. Fortunately Private Addison survived the July 2nd fighting only to be wounded in the thigh the following day on July 3rd as the 17th Maine was supporting Randal's Michigan Battery during Pickett's Charge.

References used to document this soldier: Historical Data Systems, and "Seventeenth Maine Regiment at Gettysburg", a copy of which can be found on Google.

Regards,
      Mark Susnis
      Mark Susnis
      Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Very nice four button sack coat worn by Private Pratt.
        Steve Sullivan

Comment

Working...
        X