Reunion Plate???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reunion Plate???

A woman who own's this plate/pin is wondering about some history of it. It is shaped and made like a pin worn on a lapel today, but it is the size of a plate. There are two confederate veterans on the front. One an officer and another enlisted. The names are on the back, but not sure about the design of the pin itself. There appears to be a Spanish American/WWI era battleship on the front. Anyone ever seen something lik this. Wondering if its a generic pin from early 20th century reunions.
    Attached Files
    Heath Potter

South Union Guards
    Star and Crescent Mess
    A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
    Franklin Preservation March
    Backwater 1865

Re: Reunion Plate???

Yes, we have several of these types of photographs in the archives at my museum. They were a bit of a novelty at the turn of the century. The plate would be preprinted with decorations and photographers could use them to print a photograph on. Materials used varied as long as it could be made photosensitive. I have never seen a patriotic motif before, but this is pretty cool. I would date this to the Spanish American War, or shortly afterward from the decoration. Usually these larger ones had a stand on the back, like on a photograph frame, and they would be displayed on a table or a mantle.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Re: Reunion Plate???

Is it just me,or does anyone else see the gentleman on the right wearing a CD jacket?Maybe it was around the Spanish American War,and he and his old pard were hoping to show off their patriotism with this image.Or maybe a relative wanted to honor their grandfather posing in their old uniforms.
      Just my 2% out of 100 pennies.
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Working...
      X