Overcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overcoat

Image titled "Winter quarters at Corinth", Do notice the fellow at left wearing the overcoat.
    The picture description has.., a soldier has fashioned a well-cut overcoat out of a gaudy blanket..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	millersphotographic02franrich_0155.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	229866
    Mel Hadden, Husband to Julia Marie, Maternal Great Granddaughter of
    Eben Lowder, Corporal, Co. H 14th Regiment N.C. Troops (4th Regiment N.C. Volunteers, Co. H, The Stanly Marksmen) Mustered in May 5, 1861, captured April 9, 1865.
    Paternal Great Granddaughter of James T. Martin, Private, Co. I, 6th North Carolina Infantry Regiment Senior Reserves, (76th Regiment N.C. Troops)

"Aeterna Numiniet Patriae Asto"

CWPT
    www.civilwar.org.

"We got rules here!"

The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies

Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: Being for the most part contributations by Union and Confederate officers

Re: Overcoat

In my opinion, for what it's worth, this appears to be a dressing gown or robe and maybe not an overcoat. Check out the attached image from the LOC "White House Landing, Va. Headquarters of the U.S. Christian Commission", LC-B811-2487B. Especially the guy standing in the center of the image, he is wearing a garment very similar to the one in your image. Click image for larger version

Name:	White House Landing Christian Commission.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	222571

Just my thought...
    Respectfully,
    -Kyle M. Stetz
    Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Well, in any event, I'm really loving the winter quarters. Let's have an event where we build those. :o
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

In my opinion it's unusual! make me think of a dandy one as we used to see it, coming from the city....I agree, it's not overcoat, kind of wrap or dressing robe somehing like that
        Pv. Adrien "Aubrey" Marzuola
        French Mess

Comment

You see these from time to time on soldiers who are convalescing in hospitals, such as these fellows from Harewood Hospital. Similar in fabric to women's "wrappers," and serving the same purpose.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	harewoodwrap1.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	222572 Click image for larger version

Name:	harewoodwrap2.jpg
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	222573
          Marc A. Hermann
          Liberty Rifles.
          MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
          Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Working...
          X