Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Confederate Prisoner Picture

Pards,
    Here is an interesting photo taken at Ft. Deleware that I personally have never seen in any books before. I thought you might be interested. What do you think? The photo was taken by John Lawrence Gihon, 30 April or 1 May 1864. Among the prisoners are:
    N.H. Brogden, C.S.S. Maryland;
    Colonel Joseph T. Tucker*, 11th Ky. Cav.;
    Lieutenant George;
    Captain Hart Gibson* of Ky.;
    Lieutenant Joseph J. Andrews of Ala.;
    General Robert B. Vance* of N.C.;
    Colonel Cicero Coleman*, 8th Ky. Cav.;
    Reverend Isaac W.K. Handy* of Va.;
    Baily P. Key*, Orderly of General M. Jeff Thompson [a Morgan cousin;
    Colonel Richard C. Morgan* of Ky. Cav. [brother of Gen. John Hunt Morgan];
    General M. Jeff Thompson* of Mo.;
    Colonel W.W. Ward*, 9th Tenn. Cav.;
    Captain Charlton Morgan* of Ky. [brother of Gen. John Hunt Morgan];
    Colonel Basil W. Duke* of Ky. Cav. [brother-in-law of Gen. John Hunt Morgan]; and
    Lieutenant John A. Tomlinson of Ky.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BishopLynch; 05-21-2004, 09:54 AM.
    Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
    John Brizzay Mess
    SkillyGalee Mess
    http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Re: Interesting Confederate Prisoner Picture

Tying in with the above image, here is an incredible photo album that was recently sold for a king's ransom through Cowan's Auctions. I'm sure a number of the men depicted in the above image are also shown individually in the Cowan's album as well:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Neat photograph! I'm reading Rev Handy's journal right now. He and many of the other prisoners held Morgans men in such high regard. The Reverend was a political prisoner while at Ft. Delaware and he seems to have been well liked among all the prisoners there. There is a sketch in the book that shows him seated with another group of officers similar to this photo. Thanks for posting this!

Cheers!
      Cheers,
      [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Does anyone have any info on the guy identified as N.H. Brogden, CSS Maryland? I've looked in the Navy OR, Scharf's book on the CS Navy, and a roster of CS Navy officers, and I can't find anything on him or the CSS Maryland. In fact, I could only find the CSS Maryland mentioned in a CW novel. Was there such a vessel? I looked in the CWSS System just in case, and I couldn't find an N.H. Brogden from Maryland either (or any other CS state).

Geoff Walden

Comment

This photo was published in the Time Life series on the Civil War, in the volume dealing with "Raiders..."...Thanks.
          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Mr. Jaeger,

Thanks for the link to the great Confederate officer cdv's! I remmember when those came up, and I thought, WOW what a group. Would be an excellent source for anyone researching Morgan's men for this hobby or even a book.

Thanks,
            Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
            16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
            Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

The CSS With Brogden's name is the Confederate Signal Service, not a naval vessel.
              Breandan Mackie

Comment

Working...
              X