Virginia Confederate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Confederate ?

I bought this about 10 years ago, I dont have any background on this guy, but aprox. 3 to 4 years ago I saw an image of a diffrent soldier with identical uniform along with same table cloth on ebay. Both had the same black stripe on trousers and also the black tape on the sleeve with a button at the point of the tape. The tablecloth appears to be the same one that was used in other images at the Tanner Gallery in Lynchburg, Virginia. Didn't know if anyone could I.D. a regiment for this soldier.

Not to worried about an I.D., just thought I would share a cool image.
    Last edited by boozie; 12-14-2007, 10:48 PM.
    sigpic
    Grandad Wm. David Lee
    52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
    - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Re: Virginia Confederate ?

Scott,

Great image of a commutation uniform! Is it my imagination, or does the jacket have a pocket on each breast with a placket facing (between the second and third button from the bottom)? As you've got the actual image to scrutinize, perhaps you can have a look with a magnifying glass and see what you think... Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Last edited by neocelt; 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM. Reason: addendum to text
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][B]Aden Nichols
    [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by neocelt View Post
      Scott,

Great image of a commutation uniform! Is it my imagination, or does the jacket have a pocket on each breast with a placket facing (between the second and third button from the bottom)? As you've got the actual image to scrutinize, perhaps you can have a look with a magnifying glass and see what you think... Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
      It does seem that way at first look, I thought the same thing the first time I ever saw it. When you blow it up, you can tell it is the cloth that has wrinkled from the wearer, the way it is bunched up in that area gives the appearance of a placket facing.
      sigpic
      Grandad Wm. David Lee
      52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

- Uncle Dave Macon

Comment

Nice image--I've seen photos of similar uniforms being worn by members of the 25th VA Cavalry, which was from Southwestern VA.
        Mick Cole

Comment

Very nice early-war image.
          Tristan Galloway

Comment

I deleted the image somehow, just reposting it.
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            Grandad Wm. David Lee
            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

- Uncle Dave Macon

Comment

We have a couple of uniforms of local soldiers from southwest VA in the museum. Ours are from a soldier in the 64th Virginia Infantry and the 25th Virginia Infantry (if i'm not mistaken). I will look again tomorrow and let you know some exact details. The jacket is similar...but the one in our collection has a slash pocket on the bottom left (it is thought to be a richmond depot but I have my doubts!). The trousers I believe are a dead on match. I'll go back and look and let you know some more information soon.
              Luke Gilly
              Breckinridge Greys
              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
              X